Best Turbo upgrade

BarbeeT

Just starting
Hi guys,
I have an 84 GN and before spring i need to get a new turbo... I want some type of upgraded one but dont know what to get. Could anyone help steer me in the right direction????
Thanks Kevin

Some type of upgrade?? as in seals/bearings maybe shafts?? or you mean UPGRADED TURBO? Well not that i got this done but most H/A TRs get the TA33 turbo. I believe it flows 700cfm stock is less then 5 i believe.Looks factory and bolts right up i think. Well on the cheap(haha:rolleyes: ) i sent mine 2 canada. Blaastperformance.com cost 550, Rebuilt/new CHRA/Shaft/turbines/upgraded seals/360bearin ETC But later i plan on the TA33. I still have a spare turbo for that. MY upgraded turbo runs really stronger then before;) Need to tweak here n there but damn its strong now.

yea the TA33 is what I see that most other hot airs have. Now is that something where you have to sent your stock turbo in and get upgraded or is that something you could buy and just bolt on???

I know brad and Jerry would know where. I forgot, wanna say innovative turbo. :confused: Don't know, there is a guy on ebay selling a HA turbo with BIGGER WHEELS, Idk if it
s over or not, look it up. It was for intercooling a Hot air TR by reclocking the compressor side so you can run a intercooler. I talked to him, said he ran mid 11's by doing so and mostly stock i believe. The TA33 you need to send out your turbo for the upgrades, PRICE i wanna say 800;) But There is a reason im sure everyone on here has the TA33:biggrin: I should have save my money but 500 at the time was great deal. I did plan to get a turbonetics same sizes AR60/63 drop the compressor housing/exhaust. See if the HA comp/exhaust housing will fit right in but IDK ALL IDEAS!:cool:If not post TA33 WANTED in the wanted area, im sure somebody has one around. Whatever you go with GOOD LUCK n KEPT US POSTED!

When I had my 84' I had a TA-33 Turbo. I know most people get the turbos from John Craig at Limit Engineering. Website: :: Limit Engineering ::

Usually you just send them yours to rebuild and it takes a few weeks. Just to warn you in advance you will not want to put the turbo on your car as they come back looking like works of art! I had him polish the compressor housing on mine and it came out great!

ok well I will look into them guys, do you know about how much I will be spending?? just soo I know what to expect.... What about precision turbo??? thats where I took my stock one a few years ago to get rebuilt. What are your thoughts about them guys?? Soo TA33 is the best way too go then??

With the 84's you have limited resources as far as turbos go due to the turbo, turbo adapter, and intake configuration. My TA-33 was able to support a 12 sec time slip and I have heard of people going low 11's with them. The TA-33 looks stock and spools nice! I forget how much I paid for mine..it was over 6 years ago!

AGAIN, IM SURE THER ARE OTHER WAYS TO FIT A BIGGER TURBO BUT THE TA33 should be top shelf. I know in my mind we are limited do to hood clearance n such. I've been thinking of getting a cowl hood scoop(got dents in mine and a spare TR hood 2 boot;) Why not cowl the mest up hood?AS FOR PRICE IM GONNA SAY 7-800:frown: But again if you got it and want to feel the power then hey go for it;) I didnt have the bread so i went with Blaastperformance.com it was 550. Come to think of it, maybe he can do the TA33 upgrade not sure, doesn't hurt to ask.

Hi guys,
I have an 84 GN and before spring i need to get a new turbo... I want some type of upgraded one but dont know what to get. Could anyone help steer me in the right direction????
Thanks Kevin

Are you looking for a turbo to match the combo in your sig, or a turbo for a specific performance goal?

With the 84's you have limited resources as far as turbos go due to the turbo, turbo adapter, and intake configuration. My TA-33 was able to support a 12 sec time slip and I have heard of people going low 11's with them. The TA-33 looks stock and spools nice! I forget how much I paid for mine..it was over 6 years ago!

Can you name the people that went low 11's on a ta33, because I would question this? Just asking because I know pretty much everyone that have went low 11's in a hot air and none of them did it on a ta33. Not to say you couldn't go low 12's high 11's. I believe that the ta33 goes for around 800.00 plus shipping. I think you try Poston even for these now.

Jamie

Can you name the people that went low 11's on a ta33, because I would question this? Just asking because I know pretty much everyone that have went low 11's in a hot air and none of them did it on a ta33. Not to say you couldn't go low 12's high 11's. I believe that the ta33 goes for around 800.00 plus shipping. I think you try Poston even for these now.

Jamie

Jamie,
I was thinking the same thing.
I believe the fastest TA33, on a HA, is documented on this board around 12.15 in the 1/4.

Found the thread :smile: ;
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech/158890-fastest-ta33.html

Very high 11's may be be possible, but not on a HA. :eek:
Possibly with an IC and alky, racegas. :confused:
If it was on a converted car, that is probably why it was not listed in the HA section. :rolleyes:

But, than again, many thought the TA49 on a IC'd car was done around mid 11's, and not some are going faster than that.

Wasn't trying to be negative I just don't want to set someone's hope too high and find out that this hasn't been done is all I was saying. All of my turbos have flowed more the 750 cfm that a ta33 pushes and it takes a bit to get in the low 11's.

Jamie,

I remember back in the late 90's early 00's a board member in Texas ran a mid to low 11 with a TA-33 and alot of head/intake work.

Jerryl,
Im just looking for the best turbo that fits my set-up, um Id like to get somewhere in the 12's with my car thats my goal.

Jerryl,
Im just looking for the best turbo that fits my set-up, um Id like to get somewhere in the 12's with my car thats my goal.

TA33 will get it done with the cam and converter.
It is a "bolt on" deal as well.

Planning on running race gas, e85, or alky?

I remember back in the late 90's early 00's a board member in Texas ran a mid to low 11 with a TA-33 and alot of head/intake work.

Terry Penner ran mid to low 11's in a HA. BUT.. he sprayed NOS:cool: :eek: :eek:

Jamie,

I would have like to known how much cfm it was pushing but if it was on NOS well that's a lot more then just a turbo. ;)