Best turbo for max HP on the street (pump gas/no alchy)?

I have a stock motor, TE60, 2800 stall, and a RJC boost controller @ 15-17# it spools real fast. You got a big stall go bigger with the turbo. Call Jack regarding the BBs.

If you are going to run only pump gas you will need to run low timing too about 18-20d maybe 22-24 depends on the setup. Go alky and its all good. I run 25+ with 24d no knock!

What about buying a TE44 60 whatever and going with a bigger housing? Take the extra $$$ you save not getting the BB and buy an alky kit too. Make sure theres a place near you to purchase meth. Alky is perfect for the street turn it on when you need it. I love it.

The amount of boost on pump gas depends alot on intercooler effientcie.I run 22psi on pump gas w/ 6131e w/06 powerstoke intercooler.Where w/ the stoke one around 17psi.

You want the most flow and efficiency in the boost range you want to run. If you slap on heads that flow alot, that 17psi would be equal to 25psi with stock heads, but it's 17psi nonetheless, which will allow pump gas, cooler air, more timing, etc. What kind of hp would you like to make, and what kind of ET's? If mid 11's are ok with you, a good intercooler, cam and head work, and a TE44 is fun. I have serious traction problems with mine, but it does seem to run out of air on the top end. But an 03 cobra with the swaybar pulled, a pulley, K&N and sticky tires can run 11.60's. Hell, Bob Cosby was running that with a 99 cobra without a power adder, with some lightening, suspension work, and factory stock legal bolt ons. Stock long block. Ive seen it. If you want to put a spankin on them, you'll need to bring something bigger to the table. I know the cobras only have 50 more cubes than us, ( us...funny coming from a former 99 cobra owner) but they have heads that flow alot and they can churn out some serious rpms. TE-45's can make 10 second power, and add a good quick spool boost controller, ported heads, sticky tires and you'll have a hard time holding on. All the power is in the heads and the turbo. The cam would come next. The cam is the biggest factor with passing smog as well. If you want lots of power and you want to pass smog, keep the stock cam, or go no higher than a 206 cam, get the TE-45 or an equivalent, a quick spool boost controller, heads that flow as much as you can get out of them, and some sticky tires. Then start saving up for your next engine and tranny. :D
If you dont want to keep breaking parts, just get the TE-44 and the boost controller. I made my own, and it makes such a tremendous difference in the fun factor, its unreal. INSTANT full boost.

Water cool the BB if you want, you can probably get that option on the turbonetics units.

Email Russ and Jack Cotton regarding longevity of the single BB turbonetics on a street car.

I've got 11K now on my water cooled double BB Innovative 70 p-trim.

Works okay for me even in below 0 temps. and over 100 degree days on the daily driver. :)

You could also save money and get a smaller 60 series with your current stall and do fine with a heads and cam. motor. :)

Lots of options to choose from. :cool:

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my main question was given that I have a higher stall convertor, should I get a turbo bigger than a TE44 even if I'm going to run 15-17 psi 99% of the time? It it correct to assume that a bigger turbo will give you more HP at any given psi compared to a smaller one?

subsolar0 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my main question was given that I have a higher stall convertor, should I get a turbo bigger than a TE44 even if I'm going to run 15-17 psi 99% of the time? It it correct to assume that a bigger turbo will give you more HP at any given psi compared to a smaller one?

I wouldn't even consider a TE44 with the stall you have and if you only plan to run 15-17 psi. Instant spool is great, but it will cost you on the big end and if you don't have great traction on the street. A little lag usually only provides the other car with a few moments of false hope. :smile: Anyway, a 60 series or like some suggested, a 70 series and you will be quite happy.

My 61 was damn fun on the street with 3500 stall, 212, lots of flow, but even that had no top end... well at least respectively compared to the GT42 now :eek:

All a matter of driving preference. Spoolup is very key to some ppl. Bigger turbos require more time to spool no matter how you cut it - and the bigger you go, the faster you have to spin an engine. Personally I like the 2 seconds of lag I have... kinda makes passengers think twice... before it hits anyway. Think of how you will drive it... "Top-end" really isnt needed unless your on highway a lot. For city driving, quick spoolup would be better suited since 3rd gear WOT blasts would be very rare. Now go buy one...

Phil

If your goal is 11.50's then get a turbo that can run 10.50's all day long. That way you can upgrade other stuff over the next few years without having to get a bigger turbo. I only have a 3000 stall 9/11 lockup converter and run a TE45a with no problem...lag is when I have traction and lag isn't that bad for me here at sealevel, maybe a second or two to go from idle to hell spawned fury. Even at 17psi boost I have little traction below 45-60 mph on the street. That 1% of the time it is nice to have plenty of turbo for high boost (25+) at the track.

I run a TE 44 with 3400 converter and alcohol injection. My car is mainly street driven and loads of fun. Spool is very quick and drag radials are a must have. If you're going to go this route, please do yourself a favour and get an alky kit. By far the best bang for the buck investment I've made. The difference in performance between 17 lbs of boost and 24 is huge. :D