best turbo for 11's (opinions appreciated)

IronEagle119

Ok guys, eventually i plan on buying a new turbo, but it won't be till winter to have it on for next summer. Goals for the GN are to be capable of running mid-low 11's in street trim. My question is what do you guys think the best turbo for low 11's are. I think i'm going to go with 50 lbr's or 55's and ECM mod. Trans+ is in future possibly this winter also. When I look at PTE's website there are soo many turbo's that are supposed to take you into the same et range. I don't understand why a 585 HP capable PT-51 says they will take you to deep 11's while on that same page the 580 HP capable TE-44 will take you into the 10's :confused: what gives? Since the turbo's cost pretty much the same until you start getting into the turbo's larger than the PT-54 range, I'd like to get the best turbo for that money range. I just don't see the point of a small TE-32 being the same price as a larger PT-54. One last thing I should mention, I plan on running Jay C's propane kit also.

Mid 11s I'd say te44 or 49. Get past those and you will need bigger injectors 55+ which all said and done will cost you $600. You will also need a bigger converter $1200.

For a good street car, and a reasonable price the 44/49 with 50s will be the cheapest way to go. Probably about $1250 to get it running right.

I'd say I have around $3000 in the pte 54 setup I have now (turbo/injectors/converter/install).

How much do you want to spend?

I run a te63. Some people say that this turbo is too much for the street. check my sig. I love it. no spooling issues. runs 11's with low boost (18 to 20#). the te-60 is another great option. I had it before the 63. Both of these turbo's will be good with 50's or 55's. If you can, go ahead and get the 55's and mod the ecm. Then you can step-up to bigger turbo's and injectors easier, later. Good Luck with your choice.

TA-49/44 will take you to 11.7 or so...if you want to go beyond that get ready to spend the big bux......so, IMHO, build around something like a '49/44 and see how you do.....you will then see what you are up against to go faster!

(ps: that will beat everything on the street and every door slammer that comes to the track on a trailer......)

I couldn't decide so I bought two, TE-44 and TE-60, 50lb injectors.
No track times, I'm superstitious, not fast enough yet!!!!!!

:cool:

If I put slicks on my car I could probably run mid-11's. Times in signature are on drag radials and running 93+alcohol injection.

Upper 11's = 49/44
Lower 11's = 61/62 as Radius suggested. Racegas is always preferred but the propane system may get you there. Time will tell.

You had better build a good 10 sec. combo. to run mid-low 11's in street trim.

Will you be running GT100 or race gas on the street?

Alky. and Sunoco 94?

Might take a rather "large" combo. to meet your goals.

Traction will be an issue as well.

:) I like my PTE T63E:)
Putting in C-16 and running 24psi for the first time this Friday night!:D
The devil told me to :eek:

It's always a work in progress sortof thing. With college, I do what I can when I have the cash to do it. During the Winter month's I'm pulling a 2nd job as a snowboarding instructor for xtra cash(and free boarding). There's no specific limit on what I'm looking to spend, but I can only buy 1 big ticket item at a time. I will be using Sunoco 94 + propane(if results on Jay's kit are good after the release of his kit). But the car seems to like Exxon 93 better for some reason. What about the 50 series turbo's, anyone have any experience with those? The 51 or 52 seem to be in that same range, and I'd like a little room to grow if I wanted. I want to buy a turbo one time and be done with it. Also, I couldn't find any info on precisions website about any 61 or 62 turbo's(any spec's/HP capabilities?).

John Craig !!!!

Call John Craig..thats all I have to say..ive done buisness with both & JC is much much better to deal with..if your turbo does happen to break...JC will at least sell you the parts even if he doesnt fix it..ask precision that !
Brian

I like my PTE T63E

I second that. Nice spool up times and it pulls like a train. I am running 22psi on pump gas (alky too). My opinion is to stick with a big shaft turbo. I had a TE62 which was nice it just took a bit longer to spool I think.

I'm most likely going to go with a John Craig turbo, I've never heard anything bad about him, his shop, his service, etc. and have always heard great things about him. I'm going to have to get by for now with the convertor that I have that stalls at 2000 :( . Can i take my convertor to a local shop and have them re-stall it? The convertor I'm using right now is a replacement for the D5 not sure make or model of convertor.(long story i just clipped it out) Where do the big shaft turbo's start, what series?

Originally posted by IronEagle119
The 51 or 52 seem to be in that same range,

to run mid- low 11's in street trim you need everything to go into the tens in race trim and them turbo's ARE NOT 10 second turbo's

dont believe the ads...the ads are fully maxed out hp range which is nowhere near street trim

I know a few guys running 10s with 52s. Of course these guys were also running 11.30s with a 49, so take that for what its worth.

From smaller to bigger and ignoring the TA housings, it's TE44, PTE51, TE60, PTE52, PTE53, TE61, TE62, PTE54, and then the TE63's and up. Originally only the PTE5x's came with the Precision turbine housing so I put the 54 as bigger than a 62 but nowadays I'd bet the 62 from Limit comes with the same housing so they are the same. Also, I don't know for sure what the difference is between a 61 and 62, but my understanding is that the 54 uses the same wheels as the 62. I could be wrong, in which case the 54 uses the same wheels as the 61 - anyone who's sure that they are positive care to chip in here? :)

You are going to have to specify what you mean by street trim. For 93 octane + alky (or propane), with drag radials or et streets but not slicks, I think you will need bigger than a pte54 to get 11's. A frontmount and/or good heads make it easier so you could go smaller on the turbo if you want (but why?). I run a 54 with 2800 stall D5 converter and that's too tight. A friend runs the 54 with 3000 stall art carr and it's great. I run a V2 frontmount, 54, 93 octane, 2800 stall, Nitto dr's, and my best on a 65 deg evening is a 12.18 at 110.5 with a 1.8 60'. On a 90 deg afternoon that falls to 12.50-12.70.

I was wondering when somebody was going to notice that he said he wanted to run mid/low 11's in street trim. Whatever that means (gotta know more).

Street trim generally indicates pump gas 93-94 octane, street chip, and street tires (I don't consider drag radials or ET Streets in that catagory).

Anyway, as was pointed out. If you truely mean street trim, and still want to run mid 11's , it's going to take a solid 10 second race trim car to do that!!

I'm running a PTE44, MSD50's in race trim and still have mustered only 11.60's @ 117.
That BTW is running a ton of timing(28*), and a butt load of boost (27#) That takes REAL GOOD race gas. Not street trim

Red will you be ready for Richmond Saturday?
I'am not going to VMP friday to race, just to buy some gas!

Originally posted by TurboDave
I was wondering when somebody was going to notice that he said he wanted to run mid/low 11's in street trim. Whatever that means (gotta know more).

Street trim generally indicates pump gas 93-94 octane, street chip, and street tires (I don't consider drag radials or ET Streets in that catagory).
[/B]

Word up Dave!

Regarding the PTE51/52, take a look at my sig. I run a PTE51 (no problems with approx 100 passes on it). For your goals, I'd go with a larger turbo. Once I get the car running correctly I'm confident that I'll be near the 11.20 range @ 24-25# of boost (c16, slicks, 26* ME chip). This setup obviously won't be adequate for "low 11sec street trim runs", but maybe it'll be food for thought for someone(?).

Damn... this is making me think about other turbos myself! What if I had a TE61/62???:D

Later,
-Banning.