Best street race I have ever had

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
Prologue: Let me start off this story by saying that I don't condone street racing and what I did was irresponsible. I do regret it, but it did happen so I might as well tell about it.

It was a very nice Friday night, so I drove my '87 T to work as I usually do. I teach MCSE courses at a night school in my hometown and we get out of class around 10pm of Friday night. I decided to take the main strip home since it was in the 50's that night, which is weather too good to pass up for any turbo car. I was running a little Xylene and a Thrasher chip with a little extra boost. Not long into my journey home, I ran across three cars that were obviously trying to catch up to get a look at the T. One was a '98ish Mustang GT and the other two were mid 90's Eagle Talon turbo cars

At the next stoplight, the two turbo cars lined up on either side of me and the Mustang GT was behind me. Was this for real? The turbo cars were revving away and boincing off the clutch. I decided this was way too good to pass up, so I applied the brakes and let the turbo sing a little through the K&N. That certainly got their attention as they got more and more antsy for the light. This was going to be good.

I saw the light was about to change, so I brought up the boost to about 5psi and the turbo whistle drowned out the little Mitsubishi's these Talons were running. I didn't think about it at first, but I realized that these were probably AWD cars and they would just lunch me off the start. I couldn't afford much wheelspin at all if I was going to hang with them, so I backed off a bit.

The light turned green and we were off. Sure enough, they were AWD cars and they just left me for the 60 foot since I was spinning a little too much. Both Talons were out ahead of the pack with the Mustang close behind me. Finally, the car hit the sweet spot, the car hooked up, and I was back in business. The next 60 feet told the story as I was fast approaching both of them. I was almost up to them as the tranny hit the next gear and barked the tires a little. I ended up reeling in both cars by 120 feet and then it was all over. I put 6 car lengths on one of them and 4 or so on the other before i shut it down. The Mustang was just a distant speck in the rearview mirror, and I didn't even think he was racing anyway.

After the race, I let them catch up, expecting a riceboy flyby, but I got a thumbs up. I gave the old thumbs up back to them and we decided to pull over and chat a little bit about our cars. It turned out that all three vehicles were friends out trolling for other fast cars. They are a group of street racers who videotape races for their website. Needless to say, they were ga ga over the turbo buick and wanted to know everyting about it. The mustang guy called it a Cutlass! We talked for a while and these guys were actually pretty cool. They were just blown away that an '87 Regal had taken them to school. I have to say that I was impressed at the lanuch the DSM cars have. AWD really means something for those cars.

These guys said they had beaten many cars out around the town including a C5 Corvette. I didn't believe them at first, but they did have video of it on their camcorder. They wanted to tape a race with me, but I politely declined. I could tell they weren't just talking big because they knew their 60 foots and all the stuff.

Epilogue:
This really got me to thinking that my car is faster than I think it is. I think I have to get to the track to see what it is really running in street trim. I ran a 13.23 in street trim before the exhaust and chip, so I have to be doing pretty good as it stands now.

My mods are pretty basic: TE-44, stock tranny, blue tops, Walbro 307 pump, 3" downpipe, no cat, 2.5" exhaust, Thrasher chip, stock IC, 275/50's BFG radials out back, air bags.

Nice Kill(s) Steve. Those AWD DSM cars can fly with just a few mods. I think with your combo you should have NO problem running mid 12's with traction and some boost as that's what my old combo ran with the only difference being I had a Ta-49. :rolleyes: