Best stock-appearing AC condenser?

#1HotRod

AC was changed over to r134A 'bout 3 yrs ago. Lately only marginal cooling so had serviced & shop said was little low on freon but for a bigger improvement should get a new condenser compatible with r134A. I like to keep the car stock-appearing, but want as best a unit that will fit/work. It get's really hot here in Central Ca. summer. Suggestions?

I just replaced my condenser last weekend.......

I replaced my compressor, drier and orifice tube last summer...the compressor was shot....when it started to get warm outside this year the A/C wasn't working....come to find I had a tiny pin hole in the condenser.....I replaced it last weekend and its all good...blows cold!

I just bought a unit from Advance....$100....I get a discount from my buddy but I think regular price was under $150

I converted it to 134 last....there is no difference in parts from R12 to 134

So condenser not specific or works as well either R12 or 134? That ought to make it easier. If aluminum I guess can paint it (at least portions that show) flat black to remain stock-appearing.
Amelio, looks like you like fast toys...& classy ones at that.

So condenser not specific or works as well either R12 or 134? That ought to make it easier. If aluminum I guess can paint it (at least portions that show) flat black to remain stock-appearing.
Amelio, looks like you like fast toys...& classy ones at that.

Not sure but thought I read somewhere that the drier is the only thing needing to be changed when going from r12 to 134..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Maybe need to change pressure switch(es) when converting. Been a while. 134 operates at different pressure.

The change from R12-to R134 is the matter of some fittings for about $5 at the local parts store.

upload_2014-7-12_9-29-55.jpeg

^This. Just need to change the service ports to convert to r134a. Also need to use ester oil instead of pag oil.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Technically yes the service ports are the only thing you need to change....however its a good idea to change the dryer and orifice tube as well as a quick flush with new 134 PAG oil.

I changed all of that because my compressor was bad so I bought a kit and everything was replaced anyway....

Hey #1Horrod....the condenser I got from Advance was all black and bolted right in....piece of cake!

....and thanks...yes I like to go fast ;)

All right guys, this winter I'll put in a new condenser, probably from Advance (thanks Amelio). The dryer & fittings (not sure about pressure switch, but probably 'cuz an AC shop did for me) were updated when changed over to r134a few yrs ago. AC mechanic few days ago said new condenser would help system stay cooler. I thought that meant that r134a condenser a little different from r12 unit, but no matter I'll put in a new one next few months (AC shop says will evacuate for me & hold the freon & then put it back in after I've buttoned everything back in). While messing around I fixed another small but annoying problem...so I am happy. Thanks y'all.
Hay Amelio, I like quick commuters too: '87 GN, '04 WRX, '04 BMW M3, '12 BMW M3, a 11.10 sec (1/4 mile) '70 Olds 442, & my "truck" is a '09 Porsche Cayanne; But riding a Busa I'd be too uncomfortable...the diaper would keep getting bunched up :sick:.

Thanks Chuck & 87GN, appreciate the link & info. Yep, as I suspected there is an improvement difference installing the newer r134a condensers. Now I will bet that getting an oem style (r12) replacement is no problem, finding r134a parallel flow condensers no problem, but finding a parallel flow condenser to fit an '87 GN is a problem. Thus it seems will have to shop parallel ones by dimensions (& dryer connections?) then customize braces.
As usual nothing is too easy...or too cheap...but doable.

A local GN was recently converted to 134a and everything in the system was replaced except for the evaporator.

A Regal replacement condensor by Spectra was used and the fitment and connectors are exactly like stock. What is very different is the construction, and the enormous number of added fins over stock. With over 30 years of advanced technology, this condensor is great improvement. The price as I remember is ~$100.

The 30 year old GN AC hose technology is not up to par when going to 134a as a barrier hose is needed to keep the 134a from seeping through. His was replaced with new hose.

The new 21st century AC compressors have gone through many revisions over the original as it has been built to withstand the higher operating pressure with 134a over r-12.

With the upgraded system on the GN, the owner who has owned the car for many years and drives it daily, stated it was better, colder than ever in the ~110+ deg temp in his first trip after it was completed! :)

Humm, just when I thought I had this one figured out...Micale throws Barrier Hose at me. After Googling I'm now educated, but...which hose(s) should be replaced & do all new/replacement hoses have the barrier construction (one would think so)? I'll take car over to my AC guy & ask him, then add that to my winter project (right now with the recharge it is working ok, but I would like to get the newer condenser & barrier hose(s) for any added improvement). Actually easier than I anticipated. I thank you Nick, I was kinda concerned finding the right condenser & making own brackets, etc., but now find that Summit has a Spectra condenser with all stock fittings, etc. for only $95.97.
Love this site, I like to occasionally peruse various posts & get educated on the way, & have solved more than one concern of my own; a great bunch of enthusiasts (& love to follow hits on/by Papa Lou).

Be aware that the fittings have changed, too.:eek:
The newer design is known as a beadlock. It takes a totally different set of crimping dies to make it.
An upside is, the assy of the hose onto the fitting is a slip fit.

damn...you guys are getting all complicated and stuff LOL!!!!

I got stock sh8t and a stock replacement condenser with 134.....blows cold....

I am kinda old school though as I try to stick to the KISS method:cool:

I have in need of a new condenser and have returned more than a couple of the replacements that came from the parts stores. I need a new one that I can put in before the motor and tranny go back in. In Texas we NEED ac!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app