Best size pipe to use for custom upper radiator hose

nonosv6

Ok so maybe a stupid question , but for those that have changed the upper radiator hose over to a pipe setup what the inner/outer diameter of the pipe? Trying to redirect my upper hose in my car. Thanks Joel

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

At least as big as the smallest port on the radiator neck and thermostat housing. No reason to go bigger than those measurements and it won't increase flow over what you already have.

Thanks earl. Yeah I'm just looking to reroute the hose not for better flow. Ill go measure the thermostat housing. What about material ? Stainless or aluminum? I know aluminum will dissipate some heat , but I don't think I want the pipe to do that esp where I'm gonna run it. Thanks Joel.

Aluminum does change temps faster than other materials..... but it's in the airflow from the back of the radiator, so not really going to matter there.

Years ago I thought about doing the same thing on my car, but no matter what I did, it looked like I borrowed some drain pipe from under a bathroom sink. ESP with polished or chrome pipe.

A nice 90* alum pipe painted matte black might not look so bad though.

As far as the exact size, just go with whatever common size you can find that will let the coupler fit over the housing/neck and the pipe.

Two 1 1/4" X 20 1/2" brass sink drain tubes from your local home improvement store.

These are nickel-chrome plated and hold up well under hood.

Cut the tubes to size and connect with 2 radiator hose (1 1/4" ) 90's and 1 straight at the thermostat.

P3170001.JPG 2011-06-14_19-46-36_582.jpg

earlbrown wrote: ...it looked like I borrowed some drain pipe from under a bathroom sink.. (That's where I got the idea :)

Two 1 1/4" X 20 1/2" brass sink drain tubes from your local home improvement store.

Cut the tubes to size and connect with 2 radiator hose (1 1/4" ) 90's and 1 straight at the thermostat.

View attachment 203423 View attachment 203424

earlbrown wrote: ...it looked like I borrowed some drain pipe from under a bathroom sink.. (That's where I got the idea :)

That's what i did also and i did the bottom hose as well. Has been this way for years and no problems.

Nice. It actually looks pretty damn good too! That's just what I was looking for. Thanks all for the info. Joel

Your setup looks much better with the 90 in the middle. I seen one where it was one solid piece and just screamed 'bathroom plumbing'.

I like the black clamp / bracket on the top line.
Where did you get that - or - where is it from?

Some how I've not seen that one. Lol. It looks good, I'm gonna have to check it out. I kinda like the 2 90* hoses too though. It breaks it up Alittle. Joel

[QUOTEI like the black clamp / bracket on the top line.
Where did you get that - or - where is it from? ][/QUOTE]

That is a flexible plastic strap from a `73 Monte. It held the upper hose to the fan shroud.

The chrome sink drain pipe is what's on mine, be careful if you ever need to do something to the car when its hot, the pipes leave a nice scar

Check GN1, I got a one piece aluminum upper rad pipe from them. It fit good without any problems and came with the couplers as well. Otherwise, I have a 2 piece aluminum pipe if you're interested.

Attachments

• 1445192871728.jpg
    1445192871728.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 127
Quite old thread but....
Do you flared the ends on the drain pipe to prevent slippage?
Didn't flare, and I ditched the hose clamps in favor of Gates powergrip heat shrink clamps

Attachments

• _20151018_142339.JPG
    _20151018_142339.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Well, after visiting 4 Home Depot stores with no luck finding this.

I plan to do this using 2 aluminum pipes, 2 90 degrees elbow and 1 straight connector.
Pipe size 1 1/2
Lenght 36 inches

What claps are those?

Well, after visiting 4 Home Depot stores with no luck finding this.

I plan to do this using 2 aluminum pipes, 2 90 degrees elbow and 1 straight connector.
Pipe size 1 1/2
Lenght 36 inches

What claps are those?
Sink drain pipe, 1 1/4", mine still have the threads on each end. Clamps came from Speedway Motors, but Summit or Jegs should have em, possibly a napa store, "Gates PowerGrip"