Best rod bearing for stock rods.

9SECVSIX

Which rod bearing is the best for a stout 3.8 stock crank and rod motor (low 11 sec motor) the Federal 3755AP or the Performance 7120CH bearing? I use the Performance bearings in my Stg motor.
Have both here.

Thanks
9secvsix.

I was considering using the CH bearings and then a known builder here recommnded I do not use the CH or performance bearings. His theory was that the the CH bearings are a harder material. If there should be any issues for oil or bearing then the contact between the crank and bearing would eat the bearing and not the crank. Since these are not forged cranks, then this would leave the bearings torn up, but the crank would have a better chance of not being damaged. Hope this helps but I would stick with the non performance bearings.

We have used both bearings and after bearing falure on the
CH bearings I would use the APA bearing!!!!!
Turbo TC

Yup. Definately the APA bearings (or equivalant)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That .65? bearing width fills the rod nicely. Not too wide, just right.

Originally posted by machinegun
I was considering using the CH bearings and then a known builder here recommnded I do not use the CH or performance bearings. His theory was that the the CH bearings are a harder material. If there should be any issues for oil or bearing then the contact between the crank and bearing would eat the bearing and not the crank. Since these are not forged cranks, then this would leave the bearings torn up, but the crank would have a better chance of not being damaged. Hope this helps but I would stick with the non performance bearings.
Performance bearings for a performance engine. If you have troubles down bottom, the crank and bearings usually take a beating regardless and a turning or replacement follows. Harder bearings will take more pound-out if you start detonating it. Either would probably be okay but I like the wider rod bearing "H" series.

I'm using the King bearings and they are holding up well to lots of abuse.I am also running a N/A crank an have 1/8 mile times that compute to mid 11s and thats with a poor 2.ox 60'.They have seen some knock and I mean serious knock (tuning mistakes) and my oil pressure is still the same and no rod knocks.Also no bearing material in the oil.They are supposed to be harder to take more abuse.So far so good.