Best Radiator for Turbo Buick?

joe_schindler

Living better with carbon
This has probably been discussed many times here, but I’m now in need, and the forum is quite empty.

What is the best (thermal effective, and cost effective) radiator to use in a Turbo Regal. Mine is an ’87, but I also have an external oil cooler, and I’m probably not gaining much by going through the radiator first.

1990 5.7L Camaro radiator or any late 80s F-body rad for that matter. They are lighter and cool better than the original. They also drop right in and cost a little over $100.

Originally posted by MistaScott
1990 5.7L Camaro radiator or any late 80s F-body rad for that matter. They are lighter and cool better than the original. They also drop right in and cost a little over $100.

yup... best choice if you have an external oil cooler

I'm very happy with my f-body unit. I got it used, but "like new" for $50. I still run the stock fan, but wired for manual high-speed opperation. On the hottest days, in traffic, and with a 160 stat, the car wouldn't go over 195.

It's light too!

rad

I stuffed a two core aluminium oval track piece,fits nice (with a little modification to the rad) and car runs very cool(Front mount but no condenser)with stock fan.

i have a 3 in thick northern unit with a presision front mount and a condencer... with the a/c on it dont get over 170 with a 160 stat.

FlyinGN said:
the BEST? hands down the Becool. No comparison

But Frank........this is the junkyard section. I got my F-body radiator in the junkyard for $35.......works great, but probably not as good as Frank's $600 unit. :tongue:

I've got a guy here in Columbus that will recore your stocker with a high efficiency core pretty cheap. Let me know if you are interested.

T-top87GN said:
I've got a guy here in Columbus that will recore your stocker with a high efficiency core pretty cheap. Let me know if you are interested.

Fill me in please.

one word of advice with thoce plastic camaro radiator,Be damn careful you dont blow a headgasket bad enough to overpressurize it, Ive seen 5.0 liter blower cars have the tank explode off the car while making a pass!!!
I would run a good aluminum one to be safe and stay away from expoxied end tanks, same problem.Ebay has a few good deal on 31X19 aluminum rads for chevys.drop in with just a few minor mods to the rad support