Best place for Oil Temp gage sender....

Rich Gio

You'll need a bigger Hemi
I did a search and came up empty. I'm putting in a VDO electric oil temp gage and there do not seem to be many options for sending unit installation. Manual says to put it in at the oil pan drain plug! :eek: I ain't doing that! I was thinking of putting in a Tee at the oil cooler inlet. Anyone have any suggestions short of welding in a bung at the oil pan?

If I wanted to Tee in at the oil cooler adapter... what size is the hose to threaded fitting adapter?

Mines a mechanical gauge with a larger bulb 3/8" NPT into a 1/2" NPT adapter that came with it from autometer, and I used a 1/2" NPT brass T at the oil cooler fitting, the adpaters for the hoses where they go into the cooler ring fitting are 1/2" NPT.

I used a 1/2" close (short) nipple on one end of the T into the oil cooler adapter, the sender into the top of the T and it hangs in the flow just enough to make a reading and not block any flow.

The other end of the T is where the stock oil hose adapter fitting gets screwed into along with the hose.

For a 1/8" sized fitting there's probably better places to put it such as down at the idiot oil light and turbo oil feed line block.

Baldwin_B9_Filter_and_V4_Mount_WE4_.jpg

Mines a mechanical gauge with a larger bulb 3/8" NPT into a 1/2" NPT adapter that came with it from autometer, and I used a 1/2" NPT brass T at the oil cooler fitting, the adpaters for the hoses where they go into the cooler ring fitting are 1/2" NPT.

I used a 1/2" close (short) nipple on one end of the T into the oil cooler adapter, the sender into the top of the T and it hangs in the flow just enough to make a reading and not block any flow.

The other end of the T is where the stock oil hose adapter fitting gets screwed into along with the hose.

For a 1/8" sized fitting there's probably better places to put it such as down at the idiot oil light and turbo oil feed line block.

QUOTE]

I like that location. I'm going with that. is that the cooler IN or OUT?

I don't think it matters in or out.

As long as it doesn't vary from normal readings after you install it.

It's in the rightmost hose as you face the firewarll from the front looking back.

The one closest to the intercooler not the passenger fender.

It aims upward and is the easiest to get to.

The top hose is the oil cooler outlet. I installed the sender today in a 1/2" Tee. Worked fine. Thanks guys!

OK, so I finished putting in the Oil temp gage and it didn't work! I think the sender is NG. At a water temp of 165F the oil temp gage was reading 120F (min low) I swapped the oil temp sender lead over to the water temp sender and it read dead on. I checked the sender to ground and it was reading 800 Ohms :rolleyes:

That's why I used mechanical gauges. :p

Make sure the ground is good where it is mounted.

That's why I used mechanical gauges. :p

Make sure the ground is good where it is mounted.

Had a bad experience with a Mech press gage. Tubing split (copper!) and sprayed oil inside my dash . I'm still wiping out oil 20 years later :mad: . I agree, though....Mech are more accurate

if the oil cooler outlet means the return to the engine wouldn't you want the temp sensor installed before entering to cooler instead, to know the temp exiting the engine?

D

The top hose is the oil cooler outlet. I installed the sender today in a 1/2" Tee. Worked fine. Thanks guys!

if the oil cooler outlet means the return to the engine would you want the temp sensor installed before entering to cooler instead to know the temp exiting the engine?

D

Yeah, I suppose. It tracks pretty close to water temp where I have it now.