Best of the non-HV front covers

WS6

Sock Monkey racing
Allright,who likes what brand(s) in the world of aftermarket stock volume(non HV) front timing covers?

I've been reading about Dorman,Sterling,Silver seal.etc and various problems with either crank seal problems, misaligned cam sensor holes,casting flash and so on.

So who is best option for stock volume covers?

Oh, I saw one that had the timing pointer cast into the cover and no mechanical fuel pump opening. Is that a correct part?

TIA

They all require extensive work. Stock requires the least

Thanks...

I think I can repair all of the problems of them...except a misaligned cam sensor hole.

Any brand in particular that is notorious for that problem?

I bought a HV cover and had to mill the pump surface to get the correct gear end play. There wasn't a gasket thin enough to get the clearance correct. I'm sure the regular volume covers would be the same. Anothert problem is the pump passages. There is significant casting draft that should be removed. The oil hole start out OK an almost match the gaskets but taper down to a restrictive size. The pressue passage is the worst and needs to be drilled. Some don't have a chamfer on the cam sensor hole and make it difficult to install.

Allan G.

TA Performance, they machine their's to closer tolerances than any including OEM. :)

Hmm,
Bought my HV cover from them and had to do all sorts of machining to make it right. Wouldn't expect there stock covers to be any better ?
Allan G.

Find a new stock cover. They're out there. I bought two recently. Just look around and get a new GM.

Well I wish I could. Got them for extras. Earl Brown might have one. PM him. He's the only one that comes to mind right this minute. Do a post in Parts Wanted. You will find someone with one. It's amazing what some people have laying around.:biggrin:

The TA cover is what I suggest. I would also consider a Weber or DLS prepared unit. This is one part you want to install once and be done with it since it such a major PITA to R&R once the engine is in the car especially if you run a roller cam. Just for this reason I was absolutely willing to "pay the man" for something I knew was built right.
Mike

Hmm,
Bought my HV cover from them and had to do all sorts of machining to make it right. Wouldn't expect there stock covers to be any better ?
Allan G.

TA does not produce a "HV cover"? :confused:

You can add HV gears or a housing to use the longer gear set, but all TA V-6 timing covers are built for stock length gears.

At one point a few years ago, TA sold covers which were the same as Silver Seal. The inconsistant machining was the reason they decided to build AND machine their own brand cover for the V-6, as they did for the V-8.

Actually, 2 versions of the V-6 cover are available - stock replacement and high performance. :)

We have used these "new" TA covers and so have many customers, and I stand by my statement that is is better than a stock cover, or any other one ever produced. :D

It's hard to argue the quality of the original GM timing covers. The stock of GM timing covers was thought to be depleted until a forgotten stockpile of them was discovered last year. GM timing covers ARE still readily available through Weber Racing complete with new GM oil pump kits, but that stock is not going to last forever. Weber Racing and TA performance are both supporting vendors who stand behind their products. They seem to be the best choices at this time, so it is a matter of price and personal preference between an aftermarket timing cover and a GM timing cover.