Best new or almost new car under $20K

JadeMonkeyStang

TRs on the Brain
Let me start off by saying that I'm looking for a friend. If it were me, I'd probably buy an SRT-4...... Anyway.

I'm looking for the best new or lightly used (low miles) car under $20K. My friend is look for a smaller car that's good on gas. She just graduated college and would like something that drives well and is comfortable. Wish I could tell you more but she doesn't really know what she wants.

She's driven a Civic and a Matrix so far, said she liked the syling of the Matrix better but thought the Civic was better for her as she liked the way it drove better.

So far I've suggested the Mini in addition to the ones she's already driven. I'm also thinking about suggesting a preowned A4 or similar. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be great, please help me stop her from buying a Civic. :(

-Jade

get her to try out some nissans. altima, maxima, sentra, whatever is in the right price range. IMO, the bang for the buck on a sentra is hard to beat.

Prolly get her a mint low mileage TR for that price.

Well worth the money too. :)

Last a lot longer than a ricemobile. ;)

scion!?!?! what the hell is wrong with you! those are possibly the ugliest cars i have ever seen. i'd drive a fully riced out 19 second honda before i'd even be caught near one of those new things. the xa isnt' horibly ugly, but the xb... what happend there? were the designers only given 2 minutes to come up with a body style, or was it contracted out to a 2nd grader?

i'd say srt-4, if performance is of importance. otherwise i really like the way the new caviler z24's look and feel. especially the yellow ones with the zo6 wheels, nice car. how about a v6 mustang?

I am for the Sentra as well. They have a Spec-V option package if she needs performance as well. They offer a recent college graduate rebat as well if you buy new. I have a 01 Sentra. Car is great.

Rather than an Sentra, I'd find a 2003 3.5 Altima with about 15-20K miles. Should be right around $20K.

Way better car for a girl than an SRT4

She definitely needs the SRT. Let her know the guys will come flocking. :)

Otherwise a nice used Lightning.

Saturn Redline ION coupe- about 23k fully loaded, factory supercharger, Recaros, etc.......and low insurance costs!

99-2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

My wife's 98 got 30mpg on the highway.

A low mileage 2000 GTP should be under $17k.

You could get a nice VW GTI for that price, although the VW dealers are expensive.

You may be able to get a used PT Cruiser turbo that came from a lease or something. Not sure what the gas mileage is on those though. People I know have had no problems with them and the turbos give them some nice pep.

Also, what about a used Subaru WRX? All wheel drive.

I would think a preowned A4 at that price would have to be either older, more miles, or no options because they are much more expensive brand new. Not really the same price range as the other cars.

Also, you could probably find a used Acura RSX, or whatever its called. Much better than a Civic.

The new Mazda's aren't so bad either. They have the Mazdaspeed editions. I forget all the models, but their small sedans are decent.

I would always get certified pre-owned with a warranty if its used. Although if you know the used car dealer and trust them, you can get a warranty from them too, but I'd only do this for car 5 years old or so.

The Cooper would have to be an S version, of course. Also, I wonder what some of the older IS 300's are selling for?

If you like turbo cars, very slightly used WRXs go for under $20k. I love the wagons!

The SRT-4 is probably going to be the best bang for the buck unless your friend doesn't like the looks or ride. I had the chance to ride in one and was very impressed, even with it being in stock form.

-S.

I just noticed that you are from Australia. I went into Audi's International site and pulled up used A4's. Jeez, I can't believe the money they get for these cars in Australia. See attached. This dealer wants $63,990 (Australian dollars) for a used A4 Turbo Quattro. That like $44,000 US. The "list price" of my wife's A4 Quattro sport was $36,000. I guess you can rule on an A4 for under $20K.

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/9D/4F/34508189-1bcf-010F0200-.jpg

I'm actually just in Australia for the semester, will be back in the states on July 2nd just in time for the 4th!

My friend is on Long Island, so if anyone has any reccomendations for dealers or knows someone selling a nice ride, please pass the info along.

I know she isn't concerned with performance and her two main concerns are drivability/comfort and fuel economy. After that would probably be looks and then maybe functionality/usable space. Really doubt she cares about performance. Don't think that an SRT-4 would interest her much. Keep the suggestions coming guys.

-Jade