Best exhaust to match up with a THDP?

Irid

I need to replace the downpipe/exhaust system on my car (car pretty new to me, and previous owner *hacked* in a couple of sections of pipe to put in a cat. It's too small, and it's welded in, making the downpipe and exhaust one piece! They cut it apart to do the job, so trust me when I say it's not worth cutting the bad stuff out and putting in a fresh straight pipe)

I'd obviously like to have as open of a system as I could. Currently I'm really only aware of the ATR exhaust, which I believe will mate up to the THDP setup (3").

Any other alternatives or suggestions? My wants are: flow, quality, then sound (quiet is fine, just not something with a ton of drone).

Thanks!

I'm running an SLP cat-back. As long as you get the right cat/flange mount, any cat-back for a F-Body will fit.

I went with a Terry Houston SS (I understand the same pipe is out there in a non-stainless version) and a Hooker cat back system. The TH ends right where the stock DP would, then the hooker system picked up from there. Only problem I had was the mounts out behind the rear end, up by the tank, do not match exactly. I took got a couple of the generic exhaust hanger kits from Autozone and modified them to fit using the stock hanger mounting points. I also ditched the clamps in the box in favor of some stainless band clamps from Napa. I long ago grew tired of messing with rusted U-clamps.

As for sound, I love it. There is a little of a droan at highway speeds but I don't notice it much any more. It is not SS, but alumanized. Not had issues with rust, but my car stays out of the rain and sees little driving so that may play into it. The setup was listed on johnsperformance.com where he linked over to Summit or Jeggs for actual purchase. I think think he had a note about not being able to compete price wise since he was not wanting to carry the entire hooker line. You have to get it for one of the V8 cars. If the link is gone e-mail me and I will dig up the part number. At the very least you can see what V8 car it is for then use that car as a reference to buy any kit you want.

On the ATR kit. Buddy has one on a GN. All stainles, he said the fit was great. The price is high, and most don't care for the sound. Neither of us care of the sound of his GN now.

Brent

Originally posted by fly89gta

same here :)
So how do you like it? Mine is still nice and quiet. Even after almost blowing out the muffler when the balancer was about to fall off. Nothing like a cannon going off driving down the highway :)

Originally posted by TTA 1387
So how do you like it? Mine is still nice and quiet. Even after almost blowing out the muffler when the balancer was about to fall off. Nothing like a cannon going off driving down the highway :)

i like it, nice and quiet at idle but sounds VERY nice when i'm on it, sound like that when i had the 350 in there :)

I still need to pick up a THDP for my car... but I think I'll weld on my subframe connectors first :)

Will the test pipe provided with the THDP kit bolt right up to the factory exhaust? Or will I need a 3" to 2.5" reduced test pipe?

Originally posted by Gokou
I still need to pick up a THDP for my car... but I think I'll weld on my subframe connectors first :)

Will the test pipe provided with the THDP kit bolt right up to the factory exhaust? Or will I need a 3" to 2.5" reduced test pipe?
Bolts right up.

i love my 4 inch mufflex it made my car run just as fast with the open dump and is quiet so you can hear the other car comming

george

Anyone done a track comparison with the dump open vs full closed exhuast et/mph wise???

George,the mufflex you have is the 4 inch rite?

My car with the stock exhuast picks up 2-3 mph and a couple tenths by uncapping the dump.So I'm looking for alternatives too :)

my exhaust is 4 inch and i have done a comparison my car went 11.063 uncaped and 11.071 threw the 4 inch exhaust so i would have to say id prefer the quieter caped up exhaust

george