Best 2004R for the money?

newschool72

Im afraid this thread will get axed because I don't have a clue who of these choices is a sponsor , but I have to try and ask. After much soul searching I am leaning towards selling my trans locally and having a trans built to match my setup. From all my research, Dave, Lonnie and CK are the leaders at building a 2004R that will hold up and do what it is advertised to do. Who is the BEST at making one stay together?:confused:

If I had to get a 200 built, I would go to Lonnie. I have not dealt with Dave or CK. However I have followed a lot of Lonnie's work and spoke with him about Buicks in general and we're on the same page. The local car here I put his stage 2 unit in is working fine.

My car is a little different, but with a few tweaks to the tranny I guess its all the same. I have a 72 Camaro protouring car w an LS3. A member at LS1Tech is running an LS on nitrous w one of Lonnies first stage 2004Rs at 3700 lbs running low 10s, so Im sure he knows how to make one lastLOL.

I am curious as to who (if any) can build one to last more than 1/4 mile bursts at a time(?). I got a trans from one of the 3 listed above and it failed after less than 1500 miles with no 1/4 miles trips ran and 98% normal-daily driven/2% spirited miles :(
The replacement is supposed to be shipped tommorow and hopefully things go different this time around. If not, I plan to give my honest experience thus far(site "sponsor" or not) which may help people make a more informed decision on who to go with when spending their hard earned money. I know thus far, my expectations were set a little too high after having nothing but internet searches/referrals to make my decision off of. It seems most are quick to offer positive referrals, but the bad experiences seem to be 'swept under the carpet' and in turn doesn't allow a person to make a more educated decision.

I hope you find someone able to provide you with a good experience.

I am curious as to who (if any) can build one to last more than 1/4 mile bursts at a time(?). I got a trans from one of the 3 listed above and it failed after less than 1500 miles with no 1/4 miles trips ran and 98% normal-daily driven/2% spirited miles :(
The replacement is supposed to be shipped tommorow and hopefully things go different this time around. If not, I plan to give my honest experience thus far(site "sponsor" or not) which may help people make a more informed decision on who to go with when spending their hard earned money. I know thus far, my expectations were set a little too high after having nothing but internet searches/referrals to make my decision off of. It seems most are quick to offer positive referrals, but the bad experiences seem to be 'swept under the carpet' and in turn doesn't allow a person to make a more educated decision.

I hope you find someone able to provide you with a good experience.

The setting of the detent cable is critical. Lonnie provides instructions and picture of how to install his properly. I am not a newbie, nor a trans expert and I got it right. Its a 50/50 deal with a mailed unit and an unknown installer. I have been though tough times with 200's. I bet I've spent over $5000 on 200's, converters, and experimenting with them to make them last. And Im only happy with two. One by Jimmys in IL that was recently freshened up by Trans Pros in Lansing IL, and the Stage two Lonnie built.

Im leaning towards Lonnie 1. Because the guy over at LS1Tech has had a great experience and is running a V8 LS engine, like I am
2. He is closer, physically, to where I live and trans shipping can be a bear on the billfold.
3. In all my research and nosing around the only bad thing Ive heard about Lonnie, is he is very busy and sometimes hard to talk to in person because of that.

sorry to hear about your poor experience on having a built tranny live. My personal experience on a car that is being daily driven now in the Florida heat, with a 500+ hp build, is more positive. I've logged 3000 miles in just the last two months, and other than the fact that his trans bangs the gears a bit harder than is pleasant in a daily driver, it's running strong and reliably. (Knock on wood). The trans was actually built about three years ago, and was just a weekender until recently. Lonnie built it, and stood behind it as we worked thru some little tweaks early on. No regrets here.

Im afraid this thread will get axed because I don't have a clue who of these choices is a sponsor , but I have to try and ask. After much soul searching I am leaning towards selling my trans locally and having a trans built to match my setup. From all my research, Dave, Lonnie and CK are the leaders at building a 2004R that will hold up and do what it is advertised to do. Who is the BEST at making one stay together?:confused:
David Husek