Beretta Turbo

Thanks for sticking the link up to my 87 Shelby Charger. Might I suggest making an all wheel drive version using one of the 6000 STE's with AWD as a donor. I'm going to go check one out in the twin cities that hasn't run in a while. Put an L67 in that. You'd basically be using the tranny and the rear suspension from the 6000. The turbo 125 3 speed automatics are surprisingly tough. You don't need to blow 60k to make a hot rod. So far moneywise my total investment on my Shelby Charger is about 6,500 bucks. Don't get me started on how much time I have invested in it though.

If you want all wheel drive and overdrive with a stronger transaxle that is heavily supported, then look at the 4T65E as used in the Pontiac Aztec and the Buick Rendezvous. The Volvo XC90's also used a GM 4T65E in a similar fashion. Volvo calls it an angle gear which is basically a differential bolted to the output of the transaxle to allow for a rear prop shaft.
As another member on here figured out, you can utilize the computer from an 92-newer diesel with the 4L80E trans to control the 4T65E.

i realy dont want AWD unless it can handle over 500hp. Awd would be nice, but i question a 6000 STE's power handling campacities.

To the original post.
Every time I see a 9 second (while spinning all the way down the track) 4 banger Honda I think of turning one around.
The way I would do it is.
In your case buy a second Beretta strip the front end of all body parts (bumper, fenders..) then cut the front clip off at the firewall. Then make space for it in your trunk.

um yeah. that would be more difficult than what i have planned, and would be mostly a strip only car.

Yeah the 6000 STE diff that was originally in the rear suspension I knew couldn't handle any horsepower. That's why I used the Ford 8.8 differential. The nice thing about the IRS is I really didn't have to cut the tunnel much at all. The driveshaft is in a fixed position so you don't have to worry about travel up and down, you can run it really tight to the floor. I probably could of left most of the tunnel alone actually.

Attachments

• IMG_0138-1.jpg
    IMG_0138-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,497
if i could find a STE rear end, i would use it, its just the fact there where only 2000 ever built. how easy was it for you to find yours?

You could always use a C4 Corvette rear suspension. They were really popular in the 80's for street rodders. I remember Hot Rod magazine built a 62-64 NOva with one and seem to remember seeing them being installed into 55-57 Chevys and a Chevelle.
I still see them quite often at the swap meets. Heck, I seem to remember a guy on here with a 280Z that adapted a Corvette IRS to it. Nice and light and strong (get the Dana 44 from a manual trans car). Here are some pics Progressive Automotive, Corvette rear suspension, C4 rear suspension kit

Dont let anyone thrash your dreams just think them thru thoroughly and use as many readily available parts as possible that way you arent at a car cruise some where and break a one off part and get stuck....Just be sensible and dont just throw money at your project take a certain amount and allot it for your project and put the rest of your cash into things that will make money for you so you dont end up with regrets years from now....The c4 vette suspension sounds great as long as it will fit reasonably you can always offset wheels and tires and such to make it work..Modify the car to fit the rear suspension not the suspension to the car so that way all replacement parts are readily available and look at stuff from chassis works and morrison to make it work they have all kinds of brackets tubes rails etc etc.. get a junker to cut up and use as a template so you dont ruin your car tryin different things..P.s. mark 8s also have an independent rear capable of handeling some horsepower i think its the same as the t bird i got a buddy thats a mark 8 nut get one from a newer one 97 and newer (larger headlights) lsc they have a posi and 3.27 gears....

the C4 running gear looks like a good idea, it would just take a bit of work to get onto the car properly. what kind of power handling would a clutch turbo400 have? my target is 500+.

A basically stock rebuild on a turbo 400 would easily handle 500 horses. Personally no one uses a clutched automatic these days as torque convertors are so much more efficient.
I was thinking of another neat idea.
How about a C5/C6 Corvette drive train. Rear mounted transaxle with either a 6 speed manual or a 4 or 5 speed automatic. Would be the ticket for nice weight distribution.

that would be awesome, but i cant seam to find anywhere that offers a c6 running gear. i wonder if the transaxle bolts into the c4 running gear.

im thinkimg a IRS transaxle is my best bet, it minimalizes tunnel and firewall modification, and would give the car a better F/R weight ratio.

I've actually found a 6000 AWD STE. I'm not sure what the guy is doing with it. It hasn't been licensed in a couple years. Let me know if it's something you want me to look into. Putting the suspension cradle in the back wasn't that hard, just remember you have to make some mounts for the struts.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0152-1.jpg
    IMG_0152-1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 406
what about my suspension, front and back? The C6 drivetrain - engine all around would give me everything i need, IRS, excelent brakes, Transaxle, good handling, and a common bolt pattern. that whole kit and kabootle C6 drivetrain would make the project run so much easier, all i would need is the tunnel moddified. does the tunnel on the C6 actualy act as a structual support? if it does that would also not for me to put a large tube frame under the car, which would be reay ugly due to the berettas low floor pan.