Bent Power Antenna Clarification

86GNER

:wink: The power antenna on my car works quietly and fine. However, the antenna mast is slightly bent forward when extended. Kind of looks weird when driving. I would like to replace it with GM OEM Parts. Of all the past posts on the forum, I have found that there are 3 parts depending on the circumstances:

1. The Antenna Makes noise but the antenna wont extend. - The repair for this is to replace the nylon cable via part # 22038195 - Apparently the casing of the antenna has to be taken apart and several rivets drilled to do this. The new nylon cable is then somehow rapped around the gears and the case is resealed with aftermarket bolts in place of the rivets. I Do not have this problem with my GN.

2. The Antenna is Bent but the motor works fine. - This is the problem I have. The repair is to replace the mast portion of the antenna with part # 22048583 - However, under no posting does it say if I will have to tear the casing apart and remove the rivets to perform this task. Not sure if the nylon cable mentioned above is attached to the mast assembly. If so, I would still have to tear the casing apart. I am hoping that this is not the case. I am hoping you just pull the old mast out and insert the new one without messing with the caseing and rivets. Unfortunately, I could not seem to find a post that says that you have to or dont have to tear the assembly apart on this repair (I have seen many posts that state that when you replace the nylon cable you must open the casing and drill the rivets. Does anyone now the answer to this. Essentially, will I have to open the antenna casing and drill the rivets to install a GM NOS antenna Mast Part # 22048583?

3. If this is the case, does anyone have a GM NOS stock fully assembled new antenna they would like to sell so I can avoid this mess? The Third Option is to replace the antenna with an entire new part (Motor and mast, etc... are all combined. This is sold under part # 22048604 .

Thanks
Cory

If I understand correctly you will have to remove the rivets and disassemble the unit. Trust me once you have the unit out and on your bench you will find that the un-install and install are the tough parts. Fixing the unit is not that bad. Don’t be scared of taking it apart. But if your set on ordering a new one I think Kirbans and jaysgn.com have them.

P.S. Why don’t you try to gently bend it back? Your planning on replacing it any way so if you break it, its not the end of the world.

3. If this is the case, does anyone have a GM NOS stock fully assembled new antenna they would like to sell so I can avoid this mess? The Third Option is to replace the antenna with an entire new part (Motor and mast, etc... are all combined. This is sold under part # 22048604

Part number 22048604 is discontinued and replaced by a newer generic slim-line import looking antenna. It aint a plug and play anymore.

With that said it looks like if you want a working factory antenna than you're going to have to get your hands dirty. Option 2 aint hard to do. Just use the instructions for option 1.

Thanks for the replys. I know these new oem antennas are hard to get. Usually a few will appear on ebay or in the parts for sale section of the forum. I will wait to see if one appears over the next few weeks. If not, I will either have gbodyparts rebuild it or I will attempt to do it my self.