Bent control arm inwards while removing bushing.

Morbid

For some reason the FSM only has one spacer for the tool to install/remove the bushings from the lca.
It's too short for one side. By the time I got the bushing out I noticed the the flanges are bent inwards. At least on the outside one.

Is there a fix for this or is the arm toast?

bend it back..

and when you put the new bushings in, make your own spacers out of some angle iron or whatever else you've got laying around.

I just found sockets lying around that were close and tapped them in there to hold the ears apart. Used a ball joint press to install the bushings, worked perfectly.

After taking some measurements last night, I went to one of the local scrap metal suppliers and got a piece of steel tubing.
I'll cut it up to fit when I get home tonight. Just worried that the arm I just got is ruined.

It's not ruined since it's just in one spot. Once you straighten it you should be fine.:)

When I did mine I drilled 5-6 holes in the rubber bushing, then I took a 3/8 extention and a hammer and beat the rubber part of the bushings out. Then I took a hack saw blade and put it through the hole of the bushing sleave, then attached the hack saw to the blade and cut a groove through it. With a couple taps of a hammer it comes right out. Before I pressed in the new bushings I welded in some metal to box in the ears of the lower control arm, I then drilled a hole in the lower part of the boxing to have access to the grease fitting on the bushing, looks and works great. The boxing I made also stiffens up the control arm ear so it wont bend when you press in the bushing,I also used a ball joint press. Hope this helps.

Thanks fellas for the replies. Ikle, I sorta did what you did on the other side of the same arm. The forcing screw snapped on the tool I was using to press the bushing out so I had to cut the rubber out then cut the sleeve and bang it out w/a chisel.

I gotta tell ya front end work on oem parts that have been in place for over 20 years just flat out sucks.

I duff my hat to you sir. I have to admit even after working on my own cars for the last 20 years I totally under estimated this project.
In cost, time and materials. Shop I go to up here get's $95 per hour and they quoted minimum 2 maybe even 3 hours per side. So I'm still ahead even with the tools I had to buy/make.

I use PB blaster to loosen for removal. For install, I freeze bushings. It still want to kill the control arms.

I have a bushing that is loose in the control arm. Do yall think tigging it in would burn the internal rubber and be bad idea?

I have used several cans of my favorite penetrating oil, Free All, but when these bushing seize up it's so tight the oil can't get in.

Others may chime in on this, but I don't think welding in a bushing that is loose is a good idea. You can start a thread maybe and see if someone else has tried it.

I agree because it would just have to melt the rubber. I wonder if the bushings are the same as gm A bodied cars. Ive also thought about re-installing using shim stock to tighten it. Ive never seen PB blaster fail, its simply amazing.

I duff my hat to you sir. I have to admit even after working on my own cars for the last 20 years I totally under estimated this project.
In cost, time and materials. Shop I go to up here get's $95 per hour and they quoted minimum 2 maybe even 3 hours per side. So I'm still ahead even with the tools I had to buy/make.
LOL If you were closer I'd be more than happy to show you some simple shortcuts and I only charge $45 an hour.:) If you're willing to do most of the work it's basically a tool retal and advice so it's a lot less.;)
I have a bushing that is loose in the control arm. Do yall think tigging it in would burn the internal rubber and be bad idea?
Don't even think about welding if you can cheat a little. What you can do is use an air chisle and knock the edges of the hole in some. That will allow the bushing to hold better. You can also get a new set from evilbay or one of the parts places, but you need to get them for a 2000 or so 2WD S-10. Same arms so it shouldn't be an issue.:D