Belt Alignment with Champion AC Delete Bracket that retains PS

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Just getting my new engine in and tripping up over all these small disasters like normal car fix up antics LOL.....its fighting me the whole way.

This is the Champion bracket that maintains PS

I have all RJC pulleys (except ALT) and they are stock size.

Its rolling the belt over on itself and trying to go off the back of the crank pulley as soon as it comes off the PS pulley and hits the crank pulley.

Water pump and Crank pulley are square and I have tried in and out with the PS pulley and no dice. Loose/tight no dice.

All pulleys are running very square/no slight wobble

It looks like the PS pump is not sitting at the same angle as the crank pulley, looks to be slightly cocked.

Like looking across the face of the pulleys down from the passenger fender view the PS pulley seems to be in more at the bottom than the top a lil. Straight edge shows its a lil off

Went through the Champ bracket instructions and all is assmbled right so no washers in the wrong place , etc.

Anyone have/had a issue with this or can give some heads up. Shoot me a PM if you dont want to mention it on here, Im cool with that.

Im going to call Tom today and see if he has some insight as his customer service is awesome.

Ill post up the fix if and when I get it...really gotta get this thing going for Car Craft Nats Next week!!!! New engine doest even have a 2 hours run time and no miles yet.

Just spoke to Tom, and as always his customer service is great and after I check some stuff to let him know what I find.
After thinking somemore on possible causes for misalignment, I did put some Glisten PC coating on the bracketry to seal it to keep form polishing the aluminum. The coating maybe at its thickest is a playing card thick but Im going to strip it off tonight as maybe in 2 or 3 places its thicker and adds up and attributes to the issue.

Another route Im thinking is to remove all the RJC pulleys and put stock ones back on as maybe the ribs arent cut straight despite the face of the alum pulley running true. No mud slingng meant for RJC just saying a possiblity

Or try another pump off my spare motor as maybe teh pump is tweaked ...but it was perfect on the engine it came off of.

Ill post up either way the outcome.

Champ Bracket.jpg
Just the regular bracket from Champion, In the pic the motor wasnt fired up yet.

Funny I found this tread. I was putting on mine yesterday. Got the PS pump on, was pretty tricky with the fuel lines in there. The pump looks to be sitting right in the sight line. Im using the stock pulleys But I've noticed about the bracket if you dont have the first bolts in correctly it will mess the rest of them up to. What size belt are you using?

Stripped the coating last night but didnt have a chance to try it. Will try after work

Funny I found this tread. I was putting on mine yesterday. Got the PS pump on, was pretty tricky with the fuel lines in there. The pump looks to be sitting right in the sight line. Im using the stock pulleys But I've noticed about the bracket if you dont have the first bolts in correctly it will mess the rest of them up to. What size belt are you using?

I followed the directions and left the ones loose during assembly) . Im hoping it was teh coating we shall see after work.

My fuel lines are in there and clear on problem, just had to very slightly bend one nothing crazy tho.

I used a coated hose clamp for one (cant remember if it was the large or small) and used one of the bolts on the fuel pump block off plate and then used a high torque thick wires tie to secure the other to it

Using a 51" belt.

Lil trick......It will go on super easy....with Pump adjusted down, place belt on crank ....then H20 pump .......then alt..... then over PS.....then tighten.

I didnt use the set screw im using a bolt, washer and nylok nut instead.

Same I had to push the fuel line in a little where it bends around the block off plate. I removed the stud thats there that holds the fuel lines together and installed my SS bolts that I have from my bolt kit. I got a Napa/Gates belt 060512 that im using 51 1/4.
I was going to leave the PS pump loose until I get belt on and see what happens. I don't have instructions Im using a used bracket all I do have is the picture of the assemble bracket to go by and thats been enough. I figured it would slide on the PS pump last since there is no grooves for the belt to go over.

Here they are if you want em. If nothiong else for future searches. Not the biggest but you can zoom.

Attachments

• Champ bracket.zip
    867.6 KB · Views: 131
Thanx Gary..... its fighting me tooth n nail. Well FRIK!!! Lost one of the darn spacers between the taking it off and the house to strip it. So im at a stand still till I find it or next week. Always something

Belt is now aligned and im having a celebritory brewski!!
While assembling my engine the reluctor wheel on my bhj balancer hit the front cover, so I shimmed the balancer out (shims between slinger and crank snout) did the same with h2o pump.
After trying several thoughts and beers...lol... I aligned the outer edge of the ps pump a used a 36" metal ruler/straight edge and laid it across the crank and ps pump up to alt pulley
WALLA....alt was off 3/16 or so that was causing it to deflect to rear coming off the ps pump.
Since i had washers laying around i chose to space back off the alt to bracket vs. the alt pulley.

Tightened belt...no noise...and running true.

I will eventually space pulley vs.bracket this is just to get me going...i still gotta road test this beast.

Road test good ....new engine seems ok so far, gotta run the old gas out before any craziness

chrimi said:
just spoke to Tom, and as always his customer service is great and after I check some stuff to let him know what I find.
After thinking somemore on possible causes for misalignment, I did put some Glisten PC coating on the bracketry to seal it to keep form polishing the aluminum. The coating maybe at its thickest is a playing card thick but Im going to strip it off tonight as maybe in 2 or 3 places its thicker and adds up and attributes to the issue.

http://www.engineperformancechip.com/buick-c-4]Performance Chips For Buick[/url]

DIE SPAMMER DIE!!!!