Bearing play?

Kovmat

I bought a used TA 49 Turbo that needed a re-build. I am in the process of rebuilding it. I was putting it together and it seemed that there was a lot of play between the new bearings and the center housing. So I decided to do a comparison to my stock turbo. I took the stock turbo apart and measured the OD of the bearings and the ID of the hole in the center housing for a comparison. The OD of the bearings were exactly the same size, but the ID of the housing was way different. My stock Turbo measured .621 Dia and the TA 49 housing is .635 dia. This seems to be a lot of play.

What do you guys think? Is this too much play or should I go ahead and use it? If not, can I use the stock center housing instead of the one I got with the TA-49, they look like they are exactly the same.

Thanks,
Matt

the 49 has probably been built a time or two and is using oversize bushing already. or vice versa.

yes, you can use the stock center, as the 49 and the stocker are both T3 center sections.

However, if you decide to mix and match turbines with compressor wheel fronm the two to make one good one, I would highly reccomend a rebalance. worth the money, and safety of your engine.

If you are going to go to the trouble of building the stock center, make sure you clean it super well, and intall a 360 thrust bearing with screws to retain it. as the heavier 49 wheel will make short work of that stock thrust.

A.j.

AJ,

Thanks for the reply. I think it was rebuild a few times, and modified already to use the screws for the thrust bearing. I got my parts from G-pop. I talked to them this morning, they are sending me bearings that are 15 thousands over so I should be able to use the TA 49 housing.

It needed a new Turbine wheel so I sent them my compressor wheel and they put it together and balanced it for me.

This is my first Turbo re-build, so any other suggestions or other pitfalls to watch out for would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

oh yer working with G-pop!

who did you talk to Gary? or Ron?

Both guys are fantastic, and you already are on the right path.

I think you will be just fine!

A.j.

That is good to know about G-Pop. I have been working with a guy named Jim. He knew right away how to solve the bearing problem so I don't think he is stearing me wrong.