Bazillion more pictures (some alky related)

Bob Avellar

Just loaded up a crapload more pics of my car. Alot of the engine compartment and alky stuff. Alot of interior photos, too. And one of my reflection in the new paint. They were all taken inside a temporary garage. ;)

That's a pretty crazy looking kit. Very involved setup. Any performance #s on that car. Looks great, BTW.

Nice to see it back together. How did you resolve the engine issue? I still think that your paint is the best I have ever seen on a GN. Quite impressive to say the least.

No performance #s on it yet. This is an ATK short block bored .040 over. Runs at about 165-170 degrees in 90 degree heat and maybe 190 stuck in traffic. I still run 25 lbs boost with alky on this motor but I only have about 500 miles on it so far. Doesn't feel like it pulls any better or worse than the previous motor. That motor dynod at 439 HP at the wheels several years ago with basically the same setup. Only thing different now is the T+ and Extender chip with the 3 inch MAF. BTW, I took 2nd place at the Whaling City festival car show today for my class (Stock 1980-89) Another GN took first. It was a nice car but I didn't think it was any nicer than mine (I wouldn't have traded mine for it) He had a bunch more chrome in the engine compartment and alot of people like that look. Another GN took 1st in a street machine class. Again-lots and lots of chrome. I forget his name at the moment. Good guy. His car was also at the World of Wheels show in Boston last year. There was a GNX in my class with 30,000 miles or so on it. Interior was mint but the engine bay could have been detailed alot more and its factory paint doesn;t look as nice as a good repaint. Don;y rmember the number. I think he was from Connecticut or Rhode Island. This event was held in New Bedford MA near Cape Cod.
A ton of people(Probably a 100 or more) complimented me on the car or asked questions and I didn't stay at my car all day. Alot of people took pictures or video. Thes cars do attract alot of attention still.I mostly hung out with my buddy with his big buck 63 Nova SS Pro street machine. At least it's a black car .too! :)

Wow, those are some serious alky nozzles. How did you go about grafting them into the up pipe? Thats a super clean setup, and a beautiful car by the way. :eek:

buickpower said:
Wow, those are some serious alky nozzles. How did you go about grafting them into the up pipe? Thats a super clean setup, and a beautiful car by the way. :eek:
Thanks guys for the compliments.
The cylinders that hold the nozzles and attach the whole deal to the uppipe were made of steel and machined at the machine shop at my school. Originally i polished them up and clear coated them. They looked nice but they always kept getting a layer of surface rust on them. So that is why i decided to paint them with a paintable undercoating product. This undercoat dries hard-not like the tar stuff you buy in most retail stores. I can't recall the name of the product at the moment but I think it might be a SEM product. I used this same stuff to do all of the underbody and wheel well openings of my car after I used POR-15 on it first. Anyway, my buddy TIG welded them to the stainless up pipe. He did do a really nice job on it. I am now running two 13 gal/hr nozzles in this setup and have run that size for a few years now and I run straight methanol.. I believe that would be the same as running two M13 nozzles for those of you familiar with that terminology. I typically run 23-25 lbs boost and 23.75*/21* timing at the moment with 93 octane. The motor has less than 500 street miles on it and I haven't yet had a chance to try increasing the timing or increasing the boost levels so far. I am getting basically no knock with the only exception being when I have excessive wheel spin I might get a degree or so of retard for just a few frames on directscan. I still need to experiment with the T+ settings for timing and fuel to see what I can improve on. :D