battery ?

gn79

My question is what on the car can kill a battery, I know that one is a bad alt. but are there any thing else on that can kill it. I have gone through two batterys and I going to get a third one. I put it on the car and put a charger on the last one, It was supporsely new. It lasted for about a day which I dont think because once I started the car I looked at the scan master and it was reading 13.6v and after a minute it when down to 13.0v and it jumps form 12.7 to 13.0v. TOday it was at 11.6v when I just turned on the car and the battery is no good. The first time I put the charged on and the battery was new, it was not good on voltage. I am i just getting bad batterys, from them being on the shelf at the parts store or is there something wrong in the car.

same problem

I had the same problem with batteries, had to carry a spare one, so i could get home. I checked for shorts, still batteries die.

Change out to a 200 amp alternator kit and got a OPTIMA red top battery. it has been in the car for three months and NO dead battery. My car is a every day driver.

Scanmaster shows between 12.8 and 14.0 volts. The only problem with the 200 amp alternator is at slow speeds and idle, volts will drop below 12.

good luck

The fan delay relay can kill a battery when you aren't looking, like at 3am in the middle of the winter.... :rolleyes:

Ok guys, i am going to get another battery today and see if it is good first. then I willl put it in the car. I have a few delay relays so i will change them and see what happens. I just think it is a bad battery from sitting on the shelf to long, but I will try it and have to see what happens. Thanks.

I disconnected my relay...if you have a 160 thermostat do you really need one???

Bob

I am sorry for posting so late and making everybody weight. I have been painting the house with my dad. Talk about your relaxing three day holiday right. Well back to the subject. In the little free time I have yesterday I started to work on the car. When I would turn on the car from being cold It would set off the fan. That was the key, the delay relay was bad. I took out the fuse that goes to the power of the delay relay and went to chager the battery. I put it in and still no power to the relay I turn on the car and checked the scan master and there was 13.6v to 13.8v and I had found the problem. Today I had to take the car out and checked on the sm and still 13.6v. Before it would jump and go down little by little, but now did stayed at around 13.6v. so now I have to put back the fuse and the delay relay,now I have to see if out of the 10 I have, which one will work. Thanks alot to everybody and tomarrow I will see if I can get the car up and running again.