Battery will not charge

F8L WS6

Well I am having a strange problem with my T Type. For some reason I can not get the battery to hold a charge. I think it is possible that it has something to do with the dash but I wanted some input before dumping the money into it. So i'll go into what it's been doing to me. This is a digital dash by the way.

The first thing to go wrong was it was throwing up random numbers for my mileage on the trip odometer. But that didn't bother me because I would reset it and it would be ok. Next thing a little bit later was the dash died completely. I took it out, cleaned the points, and reinstalled it and it worked fine but still gave random numbers on the trip. I let the car sit for a while and then when I went to start it up it wouldn't do it no matter what I did. Long story short it turned out the large ground on the front of the motor came loose. I tightened it up and then the car would start but now it won't charge. I tried a new battery and rebuilt the Alt with a 200 amp upgrade and still nothing.

The only other thing I read about was that if the bulb went bad on the dash for the volts then it might cause a problem. I turn it to run (Right before start) and got nothing. No bulb. I opened it up and the bulb looked fine. I put it in another socket that was lighting up and it lit up. And no matter what the volt light won't come on. At this point I have no idea where to look next. I checked every ground and they are all fine now.

Thanks in advance for any help at all on this one. It's driving me nuts!

the battery light on the dash has to work in order for the alternator to start to charge..

The alt-light is effectively connected *between* battery (+) and alternator output, so it indicates when either side is low, though not both(!). Hence it's on when the ignition is on but before the engine is started and also if the engine is running but the battery getting low or the alternator isn't producing output. It actually performs an important job in providing the initial excitation current to the alternator's field windings.

the battery light on the dash has to work in order for the alternator to start to charge..

The alt-light is effectively connected *between* battery (+) and alternator output, so it indicates when either side is low, though not both(!). Hence it's on when the ignition is on but before the engine is started and also if the engine is running but the battery getting low or the alternator isn't producing output. It actually performs an important job in providing the initial excitation current to the alternator's field windings.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I must have some kind of wiring problem. I'll have to get out there and look around. I can't imagine what could have happened I didn't touch anything it just sat! Is there any suggestions of where to start? Anything common?

your charging problem

i've got a buddy that had the same problem with his 87 GN ..... it also has a digital dash. he had some trouble with the dash and took it out. soon afterward, the car wouldn't charge.
contact member UR50SLOW (scott) on the board here ....... he fixed the problem with my buddy's car.
bw jones

Chances are, your flex PC board has some issues, and also, your dash cluster has electrical issues. When the digit segments randomly blink, it's a controller problem, and must be repaired. On the flex board, check your contacts which connect to the black dash wiring connector in the backplane of the cluster. It may have popped out of its location.

It is a common problem for the flex board to go bad where the copper traces literally wear through. That can cause the no-charge problem especially since your lamp is functional.

The dash can be rebuilt otherwise.

John