Battery Needed - What Type

PaulRV6

My battery needs replaced. Are there any more suited to these cars than others? Should I stick with an AC delco? What other choices are there for a car that only gets driven 6 months out of the year.

paul

Delco Professional

Jim Testa got me a Delco "Professional" a few weeks ago (75 series?) and it turns the starter considerably stronger than the "Duralast" ever did. Color matches the engine compartment too ;)

I've also had very good luck with Interstate and marginal luck with Die Hard.

Mike [:)

What is the advantage using the Optima? Are they lighter? Where do you get them and how much?
I will either use that or an AC Delco. Who sells the Pro series delco? the GM dealer?

paul

What is the most lite and powerful sidepost battery? I need to get one also but the best ones seem to be top post or welding type eyelets for hookup. I hate changing cables to a hard to find battery. You never know when that battery could go down and one would not be able to do a quick swap.

Summitracing Catlog has a Pro Volt
battery that delivers 1100 cold cracking
amps its 30-60% smaller than conventional batteries its says it weighs
33lbs is 7 3/4lL x 6 1/2H x 6 3/4 w
low internal resistance for fast recharge
dry cell design and has all mounting postions. price $119.95

I have Die Hard Gold batteries in both my Buicks. I've always had very good luck with Die Hard batteries. The Optima batteries seem like a nice idea but are more expensive the the Die Hards.

Walmart. Biggest one you can find that will fit, about $60. 3 year no questions asked warranty. Now you can kill it and get a new one repeatedly (I'm on my 2nd one due to electrical gremlins that I have since fixed: the deadly fan delay relay saga). Nice, huh? Forget originality IMO unless you're doing a show car.

Being a family man, I looked for the widest available service if there is an issue with service or replacements. The kids are in a couple different places and we moved accross half the country, and we travel a lot. What brand would allow me to get a replacement almost anywhere?

Go to Walmart and buy one of their top line batteries. They put it in and the receipt goes in a pouch on the side of the battery, so it will always be there.

Batteries are like oil filters. Most are made by just a few major companies. Exide makes them for Sears currently, but that has not always been so.

The batteries job is to start the car. Period. A more powerful battery will only give you accessory time for when the alternator isnt charging.

It also acts as a "buffer" for the alternator when supplying the car with power. It kinda cushions the alternator.

Anyway, I recommend a BCI 75 battery. I have had ZERO problems with the Delco's. I've had one defect in 2 years. RUN dont walk from Exide. Interstate are very good too. Penn and Deka are in the same group as exide, but a little better. If you want a high CCA battery, simply put a 34/78 dual terminal. Theyre 1150CCA if memory serves me. I rarely sell them anymore bnecause engine compartments are getting tighter every year.

Optimas use a starved cell fiberglass mat. The benefit to them is they arent damaged by discharging over 80%, and their low internal resistance makes then recharge easier. Their well suited for car audio apps where rapid charge rates are desirable.

Then we have the Panther GelCell batteries. They are typically 1/2 the size of a lead acid battery, and 1/3 the weight. They dont require any venting, and can be mounted in any method (Even upside down). The only problem *I* have with them is their terminals are very small and you can only get like a 8mm x 1.00 thread bolt in there, meaning very small eyelet on your cable. I wonder how much current you can pulo thru a connector that small. It probably works fine, I just cant say for sure.

I'm with Larkin on this one. Go to Kmart-walmart or whatever and get the best battery they have, usually around $60. I had an electrical gremlin that I chased for 2 years. Went through 4-5 batteries in that time. They don't test them when you turn them in. 2-3 year no questions asked policy. So, you could actually never have to buy another battery again.

BCI-75 is the size

Dont know what BCI stands for so dont ask ;p

i talked to my battery man at work he works for nu-ken battery company, they do mostly industrial stuff for coal mines and stuff, i trust this guy, he has been working with batteries for almost 50 years. hes says that interstate are the worst, die hard are junk, and optima are nothing but and exide orbital because exide owns the rights to that style battery. he told me that the exide nascar and delco are the best.

This generated some good discussion.
I decided to go with a Delco group 75 $69.96

Thanks

paul

Originally posted by TurboJim

Then we have the Panther GelCell batteries. They are typically 1/2 the size of a lead acid battery, and 1/3 the weight. They dont require any venting, and can be mounted in any method (Even upside down). The only problem *I* have with them is their terminals are very small and you can only get like a 8mm x 1.00 thread bolt in there, meaning very small eyelet on your cable. I wonder how much current you can pulo thru a connector that small. It probably works fine, I just cant say for sure.

So where would one find one of these Panther lightweight batteries? I am always looking for ways to take some weight off the front end. Do they use the factory battery cables or would they bolt up some other way?

Optima's are dry cell. This is a HUGE benefit if you don't like those little crusty critters eating up your battery tray, radiator core, frame or any other large chuncks of metal you might find important.

Just my opinion though,
Kev :)