Battery Discharge

onslow

Quicksilver
Assuming no dead grounds...is it a characteristic of these cars for the ECM and/or any accessories to draw enough power to drain a battery in two weeks if the car is not started or driven?

Steve

The fan delay relay can do it in a couple of hours. :frown:

It could be the battery as well with a problem.

Not what I would call normal but the fan delay relay is always a culprit and characteristic of these cars. :mad:

I'd do a current draw test with an ammeter with a fully charged battery, and if nothing is found leave the cable disconnected for two weeks and see if the battery has a problem.

If you find no draw and want to leave the battery hooked up make sure the fan delay relay is unplugged at least, both plugs too.

Aftermarket electronics such as alarms, stereos, etc. could also be a problem if they have a memory or direct battery connection.

I've read of several trunk lights that were on all the time too. Put your test meter or noid light between the battery cable and battery. Confirm a steady draw on the battery. pull the fuses one at a time and note which open circuit stops the battery drain. investigate that circuit for the culprit. Something like that anyway. :)

Typically, NO. Only if there's an unauthorized drain.
Both of mine typically sit for 2-4 weeks at a time. Both fire right up (now that the Optima red top is gone). ;)

Okay...thanks guys...I figured there was some "unauthorized" current withdrawal happening here...but had not started checking yet and wanted to be sure.

When I bought the car, and did not know anything about them, the previous owner had it on a trickle charger. He told me it was because the computer draws current. I was willing to accept his explanation, but just didn't fully trust him.

Now that I have sorted out the major failing components and the resultant stalling/no start issues he left behind, I will embark on the time-tested negative batt cable/fuse pulling exercise and also check out the fan circuit.

Funnily enough, my power antenna motor failed yesterday and continued to run until I unplugged its connector. That might have been drawing a little power too...before it went haywire. I'll find out.

Happy Holidays! And, for all of you in the ice and snow - as Mr. Shelby once told me: "Keep the rubber side down!"

Steve