Barn Find 1987 Grand National

rigo_jaime

Asking 26k OBO 34k miles Houston TX

This is one of those rare once in a lifetime finds. It was picked it up in North Texas. Heard through a friend that his boss had a completely stock and unmolested Grand National that his dad bought for him brand new from John Toole Buick of Dallas-Irving. It was used in the late 80's as a college commuter (Tarrant County Junior College according to the parking stickers). Not sure how many years it was used because the tags expired 93/94. So I'm assuming '92-93 was the last year it was on the road. It has 32,868 miles on the clock.

When I got the car into my possession, I spent a lot of time on cleaning it up and bringing the paint back to life. The interior took no effort at all, the interior on the car is almost like it came off the showroom floor. No spots on the seats, no stains on the carpet, no wear on the steering wheel and still has the protective clear plastic on the dash. The headliner was drooping so I replaced that, but otherwise it's completely original. And let me tell you, you really do feel like you hitched a ride with Marty in the Delorean on this one. It's like a time capsule. So well preserved! (was obviously stored indoors for the last 20+ years)

The exterior took some time though, not gonna lie. That paint had 20+ years of dust on top of it. So I bet I washed the car 10 times in the process of buffing it out. It was 100% the original finish when I started, I do know that. There was one unfortunate blemish on the drivers rear quarter where apparently a ladder fell on it while it was being stored. I was going to have a paintless dent repair service straighten it out, but the paint where it happened was touched up so I decided to take it to Masters Auto Body who has an excellent reputation. So they fixed the quarter and blended it into the door. As well as installed new bumper fillers since the originals were deteriorated (common problem as you more than likely already know).

Mechanically this thing literally drives like it's still 1987. 1000000% bone stock (which is the amazing part). It doesn't even have an aftermarket air filter. The original owner didn't seem too interested in the performance aspect of the car, so it literally has nothing "performance" done to it.

Since the gas tank had been sitting for so long I replaced it with an OEM quality replacement, as well as a new sending unit, fuel pump, and fuel filter. Then I had the injectors professionally flushed and flow tested. Also put in a new set of plugs and wires, and wow, she fired up like a brand new car! Changed all the fluids, installed a new serpentine belt, new battery, and this car is ready to go wherever, whenever. Still has the original exhaust too and it's not rusted out!!

I found some hidden treasures while cleaning it... The original window sticker was folded up in the glovebox. I went and had it laminated to preserve it. Also found the original temporary tag, warranty booklet, a Buick issued radio station directory (reminding us that Buick is awesome), GM maintenance schedule, and the owners manual.

10cja74.jpg

wkg1sj.jpg

122m0as.jpg

168ipw1.jpg

bdkyzm.jpg

oswgpk.jpg

Call, text, or email me if you have any questions or would like to schedule a time to see it. 713-499-0167

Last edited:
ahhh,..... if only you'd take 15K ;) .......or if only i had 25K LOL Great car, great ad. Nice work bringing it back to life.