Bankruptcy (Good or Bad)

If you think creditors won't go after you for small amounts of money, you are dead wrong. The amount is not relevant. Use common sense: Chances are there are more outstanding "small" debts than large ones, to not go after them would cost creditors more than all the big ones. They can also come after you legally. Say you ignore them, they will eventually file suit against you. The what? You don't show up? Ever hear of a warrant? Blackshoebox, what you suggest is nothing short of theft, and very dangerous. Christ, its $18,000, not 18 million. Move back in with your mom or something, or live cheaply some other way (roomates), sell your stuff, and pay it off.

Please don't believe you are a "small fish", and that creditors have bigger fish to fry. I have personally put liens on $250,000 homes for debts due me in amounts less than a grand. They will get their money at all costs, they do not care about you.

Originally posted by turbosam6
If you think creditors won't go after you for small amounts of money, you are dead wrong. The amount is not relevant. Use common sense: Chances are there are more outstanding "small" debts than large ones, to not go after them would cost creditors more than all the big ones. They can also come after you legally. Say you ignore them, they will eventually file suit against you. The what? You don't show up? Ever hear of a warrant? Blackshoebox, what you suggest is nothing short of theft, and very dangerous. Christ, its $18,000, not 18 million. Move back in with your mom or something, or live cheaply some other way (roomates), sell your stuff, and pay it off.

Please don't believe you are a "small fish", and that creditors have bigger fish to fry. I have personally put liens on $250,000 homes for debts due me in amounts less than a grand. They will get their money at all costs, they do not care about you.

Are you a creditor? Didn't think so. If all creditors went out and issued liens on everybody that didn't pay them for small amounts, they would be losing money. There is a such thing as a "write off" which is what most creditors practice for small debts that are left unpaid after a certain about of time. If they file suit against you, you show up, and plead you case to a judge. But this does not happen often for anything less the 10k on one card. Again, I am not condoning this, it is just advice, and there is no legal ramifications if you ignore credtiors till they bring you in court. Remember it is costing them more money to do that, so in most small debt circumstances it is not worth there time, hence the write off.

Funny thing is I speak from experience, most on here speak from hear say, and don't know the actual laws and fine print that goes along with them. Also every case is different and it is highly dependant on the creditor how things can be handled, there are many variables.

Bad.

Originally posted by 6PacktoGo
Bad.

Agree.

Been there, done that. Ruins your credit FOREVER, despite what they may tell you.

Disagree. I too have been there done that. After 10 years assuming you've maintained good credirt you are back to normal. I even got loans before my bankruptcy was discharged.

Get a second job, deliver pizza, deliver newspapers, or something. Bankruptcy AIN'T worth it.

Agree, sort of. I mean, if you're in a mountain of debt, it may be worth it. But for $18K? I don't know. Pizza drivers make around $15/hour. Or if you can become a waiter at an expensive restaurant (Ruth's Chris Steak House) you'll probably make even more (15% gratuity on a $300 dinner check = $$$)

EVERYTHING you owe money on is included in the bankruptcy.

Disagree. When I filed I still owed on my car. If I would have put the car loan in the Chapter 7 then I would have lost it. I wanted to keep it so I didn't include it, and just kept paying on it normally.

Originally posted by turbosam6
What you can do is "re-affirm" on your house and car, meaning you keep them and the loan, provided its current. Thats what my father did when he went bankrupt.

I guess that's what happened in my case.

Originally posted by gofastr
You will not be able to buy anything credit wise for the next 7 years.

Actually I believe it's 10 years. I still managed to get loans before the 10 years was up. I even bought a house before it was up. Mortgage was 8%. Then again, I got a VA loan so I don't know if that helped or not. Other than the Chapter 7, my credit was good. Maybe 7 years is for a Chapter 11 or 13. I don't know.

As much as I dissagree with what shoebox is saying, he is right in a lot of ways. It is the wrong thing to do, and it could end up biting him in the butt. We've all cheated on a test in highschool, this is cheating on bills in real life, but in a lot of situations you have to look out for #1. Like I said, I don't agree with what he is saying, and it is morally wrong, and is the reason we pay such high interest rates. So in the long run shoebox's advice hurts us all, but the guy asked for ways to get out of this and shoebox gave him an avenue.

As for all of these "credit counseling" places, my brother is a mortgage consultant. When he looks at a loan app. and sees that someone went through one of these agencies, he says they look at it just like a bankruptcy. These credit counseling places end up hurting people more often then helping them. As soon as they miss one payment, everything is in default. If they would have strung things out for a few more months, got a job that put them back on their feet, they would have been better off.

Yes, if someone is currently in credit counseling it is looked at as a bankruptcy, because it is the next best thing. However, it has advantages over a CH 13 bankruptcy, which involves discharging some debts and setting up a payment schedule for the rest--similar to credit counseling. The difference is in how these debts will be reported.
In credit counseling, you make 2-3 payments to show that you are serious, and the creditors will re-age your accounts up to date. That's in the agreement they accept. Thus, you have all up to date accounts, you are improving your credit score and you are making headway on paying off your debts.
In CH 13 bankruptcy, you will probably start with a lower debt to repay. However, it will be 3-4 mos before your creditors ever see any money from your payment plan, and you were already behind. 90% of the time, your debts will be "charged off", although they will be receiving something. Even after you have completed the plan, you screwed them down to paying $500 when you owed $1000 (for example). Even when this is said and done, your remaining $500 that you didn't have to pay will still be reported as a charged off balance. That stays on there for ANOTHER 7 years from the date of last payment out of the plan, which was probably 48-60 mos. That means that BAD credit, a CHARGE OFF will be with you for about 11 years or so, in the end. That bankruptcy may come off after 7 years, but that charge off may still be there for a while to come, with a comment at the bottom "included in CH 13 bankruptcy". Therefore, that bankruptcy is still following you. So, what you have on your credit report is all BAD. You didn't pay as agreed, the accounts were charged off, so in a few years when you decide it's time to rebuild credit so you can buy that house, all you show in your report are charged off accounts. If you'd have done the credit counseling, you'd have had a good score years ago.
Credit counseling does not affect your credit score! It is looked at as a bankruptcy (when or *IF* the creditor finds out about it), but it does not lower your credit score. Once you paid out of the plan, it's all good. You showed responsibility and it isn't held against you anymore. If you were bankrupt, well, it may still haunt you.
If you apply to buy or refinance a house, on page 3 you will see a list of questions. #2 is "Have you been declared bankrupt in the past 7 years?" If you were in credit counseling, you can answer that "NO" and have a better credit score.
Probably 70% of people fall out of credit counseling OR CH 13 bankruptcy. That's because they don't have staying power and self-will to stick to it. Those people rarely change their situation for years and years to come. Stick with it and it WILL work.
Ch 7 may get you out of all of the revolving, unsecured debt, if you meet the requirements. It'll be on your credit, but it's better to show dates of being cut off of your credit due to a discharge on "7/15/03 discharged, CH 7" than to string out a bunch of uncollected charge off's that continued to be reported for years to come. Bankruptcy is bad, but it is still better since at least you DID something. Distasteful, but you didn't leave everyone dangling in the wind trying to collect for years, doing MORE AND MORE damage to your credit. File Ch 7, get a discharge and your credit gets shot to hell. However, it also starts rebuilding from that point. Disregard everything and do nothing and your score will be constantly shot down as items charge off, items are "transferred to collection" resulting in *another* chargeoff tradeline *for the same debt*. 2 bad reports for the price of 1. They'll continue reporting, continually shooting down your score. It'll take years to start working back up.
BTW, taking out a loan while in a CH 13 plan is illegal. Car dealerships do it all the time, sadly, because no one follows up. To do it legally, you have to get permission from the bankruptcy court.

Options:
#1 Credit counseling: start rehabilitating your credit immediately, do the right thing and pay what you owe, but probably less with no late fees and reduced rates.
#2 If livable terms can't be met, file Ch 7: take a big hit on your score, but then start rebuilding.
#3 Pay no one, don't answer the phone, ignore "Privacy director" on your caller id 20 times a day, live with the risk and stress of possbile legal action from several directions (only 1 way to find out if they'll do it, willing to risk it?), continually downgrade your credit for years and years to come.

DO NOT just let things go. That is incredibly bad, unknowledgable, short sighted advice. Easy to say when it isn't you that has to live with it. Sure, it's an option, but so is robbing a bank.

Don't tell the guy to do something that will affect him EVEN LONGER than his idea to file bankruptcy. Do I need to go further with this?

Another thing to consider is...

...most credit card companies have a certain crieteria(sp) you have to fit into, before they will offer you a payment plan that is affordable, and also realistic. If you make over a certain amount on the books, chances are you will not qualify. Creditors do not take into consideration you living expenses, etc..so if they see you make say 2k a month, and you have 1500.00 on paper that is tracable(i.e mortgage, car payments, insurance, power, water, electric) they automatically assume you can spend that money on your debt to them, but what does that leave you to eat with? and how about gas for your car to go to work?? The point is, in most cases if you can't afford the minimum payments on your credit, chances are the plan set-up to help you pay off the debt will not be much cheaper, the only plus could be no more interest, depending on the creditor.

After reading all these replies, All I can muster up to say is DAMN....If their is a will, their is a way, but GOD knows I have tried
all the aforementioned avenues you guys have suggested in this thread....Blackshoe boxes advice is wild but is necessary to some people & maybe I am just one of them.....The lawyer I talked too was referred to me by someone who just went through bankruptcy so I'm not too sure I agree that they are out to get my money ($675.00) is not a hell of alot of money especially to an attorney IMHO....

So the overall consensus is bankruptcy is bad, horrible, damaging & a sharp spear to the heart of my credit but hey I may need to just go ahead and file....I have not made a decision too yet but will probably do so in the next few weeks or so....

Killa6,

BTW when I took out these loans & credit cards I was not thinking of myself, matter of fact before you (ass)ume that is case make sure you have all the facts straight guy, some of the money used on those very cards had to pay for my fathers funeral in 2001 as he did not save or care to leave anything for his offspring except a mountain of headaches & debt & when my mother got sick I had to care for her & guess what that takes green as in $$$...So to the contrary I was thinking of my immediate family & their care & well-being....

I could not control the loss of my job & drastic change in income....Unless you have experienced hardship then you can relate to my circumstances if not why offer advice??

Todd

Many of us have been through hard times including myself in my younger days. But I joined the Army and had a 2nd job while in the service.

I have to ask, if your in such bad financial shape, why don't you part out your car, with the mods you have listed and if the car is in decent shape, you should be able to come up with about 1/2 of what you need. The easy answer is to run from your bills. Just do the responsible thing and take care of the bills yourself instead of dumping them on others.

Call your credit card company and work a payment plan. Also, tear up your credit cards, please.

Joe

As Dave Ramsey would say "asking a bankruptcy lawyer if you should file bankruptcy is like asking a dog if he is hungry." The answer will always be yes. Hell, it will cost you nearly a grand to file in most cases, how freakin stupid is that?? In most cases bankruptcy really doesnt help, and at best only helps with the symptoms, rather than correcting the problems. If you don't change your actions, you will be right back in a few years, theres no doubt abou it.You are not bankrupt, and yes it will destroy your credit for 4 yrs, and show up for a total of 7 yrs. I'm not Dave Ramsey's cheerleader beleive it or not, but do yourself a favor and listen to him for a week before you do anything.

Captain Mark,

Thanks...Did you get my replies?

GNX Guy,

Are U the "One of us" that has been through bankruptcy? In other
words I respect your opinions, suggestions & advice; however, If you have not and have no idea what it is like to be in my shoes then how can you offer advice that I should heed? People have a tendency to put themselves in my shoes or in the shoes of those who have experienced financial hardship, make claims & say all kinds of things....If they are not speaking from experience how does that benefit or help me??

Yes I am financial bad shape & since the GN is my only car I dare not part my car out....Are you going to jump a plane, transport your car here & give me a ride to work M-F?? My car is my sole transportation...Maybe yours is a toy, mine was when I first bought it but not anymore....Time can change alot of things....

striker_29,

Bankruptcy does not cost a grand....A former colleague of mine
filed about 3 months ago and his total cost was just over $500.00. I'm in michigan so maybe it's higher elsewhere I don't know though.....

Todd

Hi,

Now you state the you have been through bankrupcy, would this be your 2nd time?

Nope never filed bankrupcy. If your only working M-F as you state below. Why not find another job for Sat and Sunday? Please stop making excuses. I deal with folks every day that are in much worse financial shape than you. $18k is peanuts. If you can come up with $650.00 to file why not apply that to the money you owe.

Did you call your credit card company yet. I bet not. Take action, thats half the battle. Cut your expenses, do you have a cell phone, pager, internet access? get rid of them. Do you have a 2nd job?? There are many solutions to your problem. You need to take action.

Joe

Originally posted by toddmingnworld

Captain Mark,

Thanks...Did you get my replies?

GNX Guy,

Are U the "One of us" that has been through bankruptcy? In other
words I respect your opinions, suggestions & advice; however, If you have not and have no idea what it is like to be in my shoes then how can you offer advice that I should heed? People have a tendency to put themselves in my shoes or in the shoes of those who have experienced financial hardship, make claims & say all kinds of things....If they are not speaking from experience how does that benefit or help me??

Yes I am financial bad shape & since the GN is my only car I dare not part my car out....Are you going to jump a plane, transport your car here & give me a ride to work M-F?? My car is my sole transportation...Maybe yours is a toy, mine was when I first bought it but not anymore....Time can change alot of things....

striker_29,

Bankruptcy does not cost a grand....A former colleague of mine
filed about 3 months ago and his total cost was just over $500.00. I'm in michigan so maybe it's higher elsewhere I don't know though.....

Todd

Joe, buddy, pal fellow GN lover, did you read the thread and read the posts I already have up?....From your reply I guess not, because you do not know what you are talking about guy...Let me break it down for you...Listen carefully, better yet read this carefully....My cell phone has been cut off for quite some time now, already tried Credit counseling & debt consolidation & didn't work, trust me I know I tried it for 11 months...Creditors drop me from the program because I missed one lousy payment for an 11 month run...C'mon now..Again $18,000 in CC debt how much headway do you really think I'll make on that amount.....Were you born yesterday?? No pon intended but sounds like you are still a little wet behind the ears partner...:confused:

To add more, if you would have read the thread in it entirety you'd know I'm CONSIDERING bankruptcy so NO this would not be my 2nd filing & to top it all off you never filed so you never
experienced anything...You offering advice to me is like me telling you, I know how you felt when your mom passed & I never experienced the pain of that sort of loss....I've taken all reasonable steps to this point or why else would I be considering
Bankruptcy??

Todd

If you are late on 1 payment in that plan, you can get it back on track, or even restart. You have to keep at it. You can't go missing payments in a CH 13 either. If you get behind enough, you'll get dismissed and be right back owing what you started out with, minus the minute payments made in the payment plan. What chapter is your attorney advising you to file? 7 or 13?

Sounds like you just want to give up.

If you want to post your sob story on the board, please don't critize others input. You seemed to ignore other ideas I mentioned. No problem. Good luck.

Joe

Joe, buddy, pal fellow GN lover, did you read the thread and read the posts I already have up?....From your reply I guess not, because you do not know what you are talking about guy...Let me break it down for you...Listen carefully, better yet read this carefully....My cell phone has been cut off for quite some time now, already tried Credit counseling & debt consolidation & didn't work, trust me I know I tried it for 11 months...Creditors drop me from the program because I missed one lousy payment for an 11 month run...C'mon now..Again $18,000 in CC debt how much headway do you really think I'll make on that amount.....Were you born yesterday?? No pon intended but sounds like you are still a little wet behind the ears partner...:confused:

To add more, if you would have read the thread in it entirety you'd know I'm CONSIDERING bankruptcy so NO this would not be my 2nd filing & to top it all off you never filed so you never
experienced anything...You offering advice to me is like me telling you, I know how you felt when your mom passed & I never experienced the pain of that sort of loss....I've taken all reasonable steps to this point or why else would I be considering
Bankruptcy??

Todd

Bill,

Chapter 7 because am all a$$'d out...:mad:

Todd

Might as well. Something you might ask your attorney about is reaffirming on one small debt/creditor. See if you can keep one account open, the judge might let you do that, might not. If you could, you'd have one tradeline continuing that you could pay up to date and maintain payments on to get your scores back up quickly. You'd want it to be a national account so it would report to all 3 bureaus's, not a local one that either won't report at all or would only report to 1 or 2. You're going to get an onslaught of credit card offers and other crap that just waste your time trying to get you back in the hopper. You might consider writing to the 3 main bureau's to have you name and basic credit information removed from the mailing lists.

Good luck with it!

GNX Guy,

You are entitled to your opinion...You can call it what you what guy? I really don't give a rats a$$....You are not my attorney, creditors, family or friends...So why should your opinion count to me?

If it is were based on facts & personal experience I'd listen with all ears but since it's not your comments I consider simply non-sense..Thanks for the good luck wish because I'll certainly need it....:D

GN One Day,

I do plan on doing with one of the CC's.....Maybe a fact it was something the attorney had brought to my attention....

Captain Mark,

Sent you a PM

18k and your crying bankrupt? man, listen, back in the early eighties my dad lost his job at chrysler and had all the bills adding up. do you know what my parents did.. they worked, day and friggin night.... not to get ahead, but, to survive. my mother worked 3 jobs and managed to still raise three boys, one that was in highschool. my dad worked 2 jobs to a total of 18 hours a day. they managed to do this for almost five years.. then they started the family company. i was taught about cash management from a very early age. it boggles my mind how you would rather ruin your financial future for the next ten
( michigan law ) years than (a) sell a fifteen year old buick and replace it with a $1500 beater, or work a little harder and a little longer. some people just have their priorities out of line..