Ballpark cost to strip and paint?

No, not a t-top car. Yes, all the trim and glass will come off. However, none of it will be done by me. The car will be dropped off in complete, original condition as it is now, minus engine and trans. The shop owner told me jobs like this are around 15k. That's a boat load of money, hence the reason I'm asking for others opinions and experiences.

He's close.... $15K should be a first class job....We're doing a 33 roadster. [Fresh car, no previous paint]. Here's some idea as to the material costs:
DP primer $200+/gallon. K38 hi build primer Near $300/gallon w/ activator, etc.
2012 Camaro Synergy Green base coat $680/gallon. Clear about $200 gallon.
Add in stripper, [or blasting] wash thinner, sand paper, tape, paper, tack rags, buffing materials, etc, and that's another EASY $300. [Blasting done right, is at least an additional $600]
What's left of the $15K is labor at $50, or more, an hr.
These are PPG materials. We don't use the cheap $hit....;)

ad up materials ppg base coat clear coat 1000$ primer filler abrasives tape paper solvents compounds pads etc another 1000 to 1500 so u would work for 500 dollars not included electricity water u use stuff adds up quick

I can get materials for much less than than :) too bad I'm not in the business anymore, but I'm considering opening up a shop

If the car is going to be wet sanded in stages and buffed the price will be over $10k unless the guys doing the work are your friends who
like working for free. If 50 hrs was spent in prepping and painting and another 75 hours in wet sanding and buffing you are at $8000-9000 in labor right there. Then supplies and other expenses that pop up. You don't get what you don't pay for.

sand1 said:
this is why i dont paint cars for people everyone wants a nice quality job for free lol

I wouldn't paint anything just because of this.

I think some if it depends on the shop and its overhead. I went to one shop that is a new beautiful facility working on anything from chevelles to new porsches and they wanted at least 10k. The guy also told me that they have lots of overhead with the new building and employees, and that maybee I should try a shop that was 10 minutes down the road. That shop had been in business for over 100 years building payed for and they obviously do good work and arent going anywhere. They are stripping most of the car down to bare metal but not all of it. top half of the car for sure, and all the windows are coming out. 4-5 coats of dupont and 2-3 of glamour clear. THey have 2 downdraft booths and it should turn out really nice. We shall see.

I feel like there are too many shops out there that are spoiled with insurance work and just replacing a fender and no one feels like actually doing some work. So find a shop that is a little older and used to doing some real work and they acn do it for a reasonable price. I wouldnt mind paying for a 15k paint job if I knew I could get the value back outta the car one day if I should sell it. But these cars unfortunately are not worth that kind of money so we can only spend so much on a paint job. Be patient a find a good shop that is willing to get a little dirty.

Wow, this thread came back to life with a lot more replies. Thanks for offering more opinions. Actually had the car painted over the winter. See the "Dave's Turbo T Restoration Trend" thread in this same section.

He's close.... $15K should be a first class job....We're doing a 33 roadster. [Fresh car, no previous paint]. Here's some idea as to the material costs:
DP primer $200+/gallon. K38 hi build primer Near $300/gallon w/ activator, etc.
2012 Camaro Synergy Green base coat $680/gallon. Clear about $200 gallon.
Add in stripper, [or blasting] wash thinner, sand paper, tape, paper, tack rags, buffing materials, etc, and that's another EASY $300. [Blasting done right, is at least an additional $600]
What's left of the $15K is labor at $50, or more, an hr.
These are PPG materials. We don't use the cheap $hit....;)

HOLY SHIT!!! I am helping KevinW25645's son paint his 86 Regal he just got. Started out showing him how to clean and prep, use a sander, and some other beginning stuff. He wants the 2012 Camaro Synergy Green sides, and black top...2 tone. It will look pretty cool with a GN interior. Wait til he sees the price of the paint. I havent painted a car in 15 years and paint was 300 a gallon back then...HOLY SHIT has it gone up. Is it made of oil???Hahahaha

id rather do a insurance job over a retoration thier no money in resto jobs take too long and too pricey to do insurance collision is fast money and the jobs pay more than resto work

yah basecoat clearcoat with hardner and reducer can go up to 1500 for a gallon of base and a gallon of clear stuff is pricey

The local guy that paints the tricycle Honduhs, has some of that hi $ trik paint.....$450/pint!

hello; I'd like to here what Miguel from Pats Auto Care has to say about this? Maybe he'll chime in?
IBBY
WOW how did i miss this thread. well im been doing these car's since 1984.And back in the day's to paint a GN use to be from$ 3,500 To $5,500
today is tuff to give a dollor figure becuase these car's got'n older and to bring these car's back to their glory day's it take alot of time
But the car's i done in the pass 10 years they been around 8 to 15 grand.
don't forget Guy's when i do these car's i remove everything header panel, fender's door's Hood, All glasses, trunk, door handle, moulding,tail lites ,head lite,bumper filler all seal's rug seat's everthing insde of the car's becuase these car's are kwon for rusted floor panel.
that why i away ask the customer what are he's gold with the car.