Balancer Wobble -bolt and washer?/

speed11

:confused: Ok, I took balancer off today and it check out to ok. Just a lose bolt. Because I noticed it was wobbling(sp?) a little. Thank God I caught it so early. No damage to the balancer:fit tight with very little play, the crank and key were also undamaged. It appears to just be a lose bolt.
BUT! I did notice the heavy washer that goes on the 1 1/8 bolt fits pretty lose on
the bolt and it look as though it had been spinning on about the last 1/16th-1/8" of the threads and flattened out about four rows of the bolt ie just before
the head of the bolt. Do you know if the wash is suppose to have play in
the balancer or how much play it should have around the bolt.

At first I thought no problem I'll head to the hardware store and buy a new bolt #3 and washer, but I noticed that if you look really close at the bolt it appears that the first half of the threads are shorter in height than the last half ie just prior to the head of the bolt. Is this a special bolt and washer- I realize they are hardened but would these be avaliable at the hardware store?
Has anyone run into this before?

Good thing you caught it early. I have a cracked balancer that was loose when I pulled the belt off. The only crack was on the part of the balancer where the keyway fits. Double check to make sure it isn't cracked. If it was wobbling it might be out of round and not yet cracked.

ok thanks
I'll double check! :)

Do you remember what your bolt looked like? did you need a new one?
Do you remember how snug or lose your washer was?

Still seems to have alittle wobble

:confused: Ok put the balancer back on, fit tight no play w/out the bolt. Installed new bolt+ lock tight- red @220 ft/lbs of torque. But if you watch it from the pass side fender you can see some wobble at low rpm; straightens up at around 15-1800 rpm (est.) you can't see any wobble at all. I know that the balancer is fit tight. Could it be just the pulley portion thats bent? I noticed a small ding in the outer edge of the pulley but not much. Maybe its an illusion. I don't know how much wobble is exceptable. I want it as pefect as I can get it.
I took the car out tonight in the cool weather runs awsome (no traction though).
Can anyone on here please look at there balancers and tell me if you guys can see any at all?
Thanks

speed11 said:
.......... I noticed a small ding in the outer edge of the pulley but not much. Maybe its an illusion. .........
Do you have access to a dial indicator to check it out?

speed11 said:
Whats a dial indicator?
Here is a picture. GREAT tool!

Attachments

• Dial indicator.jpg
    Dial indicator.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 95
Great thanks.
Had a couple mechanics look at it here at work and they seem to think its ok.
Just the same I think I 'll find one of these and double check.

speed11 said:
Great thanks.
Had a couple mechanics look at it here at work and they seem to think its ok.
Just the same I think I 'll find one of these and double check.

I went through the same thing. I thought I was loosing my mind. From the ps it looked like the balancer was wobbling. It wasn't. If your balancer was wobbling, it would hit the crank sensor. Don't look at the back of the balancer, look at the front, where the belt is. If the belt is tracking straight, it is not wobbling. Find something else to worry about.

Thanks! Chris

Man I've went round and round with this thing (no pun intended)
Really; thanks