Bad turbo, replace intercooler?

Turboholic87

You feeling lucky punk!
The previous owner of the car drove around with a blown thrust bearing on the turbo before he sold it. The turbo didn't explode but there is visible wear on the compressor and turbine. I also found aluminum particles the size of pretzle salt stuck in the catalyst. Well I'm rebuilding the motor now and I'm wondering if I can just clean out the intercooler or do I need to purchase a new one just to be safe. The intercooler was modified with the Dutweiller neck but I'm not sure if that's worth anything. Anyone have this same situation and just clean it out? Would a garden hose & soapy water be OK to use?

People have cleaned out their intercoolers when it comes to oil leaking into them, but not too sure about debris. Might not be worth risking a freshly rebuilt motor. You can try to clean it out but there's no way to be 100% sure that there isn't some particle lodged in there waiting to come out months later and end up in your engine. If you can afford a new intercooler get one. If not, I would flush it out multiple times.

Take it to a car wash and blast it out as best you can more than once if you can not afford a new one. Personally I would save for a new one, not worth wasting a new motor.
Bryan