Bad turbo? No boost.

Calia22

So in the past few days my '87 has just went from burnout machine, to a gutless piece of cabbage. There is no boost building, maybe 4 PSI max now. the wastegate has been checked with a mityvac and isnt leaking. I checked the turbo and there is a tiny bit of shaft play, but when i spin the compressor with my finger, it just doesnt want to bother. Stops spinning just way too quick. With the engine running, it won't even spin at idle, maybe only for a second. that is pointing towards a bad turbo correct? Should i rebuild it if it is in this condition or should i just opt for a turbo upgrade right now? Also if I were going the rebuild route, which kit is recommended?

Have you any plans for an upgrade, then I would invest in the new. Sounds like you have coked bushings. Happens when you spin the turbo and don't let it spin/cool down(at least 5 min.) before turning the car off. The oil bakes in the hot bushings. Have you checked your drivers side header, between cyl. #3 & 5. the header will usually crack at that point, causing a loss of boost to around 6# -12#'s.

That would be my guess too. I have a stock turbo coming my way so ill just swap that and keep the other for a core or maybe rebuild it just cause. There doesn't sound like a leak but ill check again just to make sure.