bad track times

trbo6gn

went to the track and ran her for the first time ever and could only get a 13.6 out of it. i was only running 14 psi but it stillshould be faster than that shouldn't it? what do u think is wrong. the 60"was a 2.0 and i only trapped 99.4 mph? any ideas?

first time out well not to bad for the boost

why only 14lbs (possible more even pump gas)

60ft can be better(depends on tires)

what tunning device

I would become an alky and get some good drs,slicks under there and turn up the boost

all in tunning

Good luck

JOhnny

well i am on mcreary soft compounds and i am leaving at about 3-4 psi. i have no scan tool which is my main reason for only 14 psi. i am worried because i have no idea of what is going on with my engine during the run. i got 3 runs last night first was a 14.2,second was a 13.7 and the third was a 13.6. my friends said i was slow on the tree so that may b some of the problem too.

reaction time plays no role in over all ET. most of your ET will be made in the 1/8 mile, your 60ft sets the tone for the run. leaving at 3-4 psi means your not making much power, leave with 10+ and your ET will improve cause your putting more power to the ground sooner. your really not making any power till 60 feet out. bottom line to improve ET work on your 60ft. to improve mph more boost and MORE tuning. with out a scan tool your pissing in the wind, and playing with fire, your not gunna get faster safely with out a scan tool.

Gotta run more boost. Times are about right for the boost you ran. More boost, boost and more boost. That's the problem.

At 14 psi, a TE44 would be slower than stock. Turbos work in an efficiency range. At 14 psi, the stock turbo is very efficient and would run right at about the numbers you ran. A TE44 won't be significantly faster than a stock turbo until over 17-18 psi.

thanks you guys. so wut do u guys think i should do next time i go to the track. remember i dont have a scantool soo too much boost might not be a good idea. any suggestions?

Originally posted by trbo6gn
thanks you guys. so wut do u guys think i should do next time i go to the track. remember i dont have a scantool soo too much boost might not be a good idea. any suggestions?

Yes, get a scantool before you go back! Period. It is a must have.

Get you a scantool the next time you go. I know what you mean by bad track times. I'm still running a stock converter with the turbo i have and i need at least 3600 stall. BUT i just ordered a Precision 5 disk 0 pump converter today. I'm having Vince Janis rebuild my tranny. Hope to have it back by the end of the month.

I agree 100% with getting a scan tool. You can't tune if you don't know how your car is running. My last trip to the track my MPH went form 103 the first pass to 111 the last tuning with a scan master. I believe with turbo link or direct scan, I would have had another MPH or two. You were wise to keep the boost at 14#.

I concur with others. You really need a scan tool to figure out what needs to be tweaked.

PS.

Ron Nolan,

You mentioned you need a 3600 rpm stall conv and just ordered a #0 pump. If I remember correctly, the “0” pump was ~2800-3000.
You may want to change your order to a “6” (~3200-3400) or “7” (~3600-3800)

HTH,

You should be able to run 17 or 18 lbs of boost with your build up on pump gas when tuned with a scan tool and combined with better traction I wouldn't be suprised if you cracked the 12's. On race gas with the boost turned up in the mid 20's or so you should be in the mid 11's or even better on a good day when pushed hard.

Rob Nolan, you don't list an intercooler upgrade in your mods. Did you run 132 mph on the stock i/c? :eek: Surely you forgot to list it. This is a good example of what traction will do for you. He states he ran 12.37 @123 mph and when he gets his 60 ft times sorted out 123 mph should equal high 10's.

I agree, pump up the BOOST! When I first got my car it ran a 13.7 @ 99.94mph on street radial tires w/ a .632 reaction time. This was before any mods done to a car with 150k miles on it. Work on getting the boost up on the 60ft down & times will be looking better...

EXACTLY, what they said, I tired to "shad tree" this car (tune with no scan tool), for years and it's a no win situation, you won't be happy. Either it's bad results at the track, or it's gonna be a blown head gasket or worse. Get Turbolink, Direct Scan or a similar tool BEFORE you return to the track. Get one and get farmilliar with it, then tune it at the track.......you'll be surprised. These are words of experience......I ran 14.1s for a few years 'till I got a set of slicks and Turbolink.

Originally posted by soonergn
You should be able to run 17 or 18 lbs of boost with your build up on pump gas when tuned with a scan tool and combined with better traction I wouldn't be suprised if you cracked the 12's. On race gas with the boost turned up in the mid 20's or so you should be in the mid 11's or even better on a good day when pushed hard.

Rob Nolan, you don't list an intercooler upgrade in your mods. Did you run 132 mph on the stock i/c? :eek: Surely you forgot to list it. This is a good example of what traction will do for you. He states he ran 12.37 @123 mph and when he gets his 60 ft times sorted out 123 mph should equal high 10's.
Yes i have a front mount intercooler its a Ken Duttwiler. I ran 123mph the 60fts were bad because i am still running a stock converter couldn't build any boost off the line. But i just ordered my converter yesterday. I'm taking my tranny down to Bowling Greene because Vince Janis will be there to take it back with him. That will save me money on shipping it. After i get all that back in with some good tuning i should see 126+ i hope and some 10s.