Bad rearend????????

This is a crush sleeve issue and tightening it down until lash is righ is wrong. This preloads the pinion bearing and bearings have a general spec of 15in.lbs. of turning torque for used bearings and 25in.lbs for new bearings. Over tightening them will blue them and over heat them. This needs to be done right. You can tighten the pinion nut back down to where it is just taken the play out of the pinion but it is best to disassemble and do it right vs bandaid it and causing more damage down the road. Sometimes it works and sometimes it won't.

So we're clear I didn't say it was right, I said it was better than nothing. Your post is right on though.

Yes. It is WAY better than nothing but the most problems with the 8.5's are with the 1500 series trucks and Blazers. They have pinion nut problems out the azz. Haven't heard of that many GN's having these problems so I hope it works for him. Seen too many people get aggressive with the tightening and wipe out the pinion bearings. I believe you, that with a new nut, some locktite and a little moderation in tightening, it should work. Just can't over crush the crush sleeve. Best bet is to tighten the nut like a 1/4 turn and check to make sure there is no slop and go a little more until it has resistance to the point of having to get aggressive and stop there. :)

So we're clear I didn't say it was right, I said it was better than nothing. Your post is right on though.