bad luck

jimmymopower

As luck would have it, the second day of driving my first turbo Buick, the engine has a major death rattle. It still runs, and will make a great rebuildable core, but I need an engine for this thing asap. If anyone has any suggestions as far as a reputable source for these engines in the southeast, please let me know.

Mark Riley (336-378-1252) of Turbo Tune in Greensboro.
Richie Kibler (919-771-2269) east of Raleigh.

what happened? Did it not have a death rattle when you bought it? How much $$ do you plan to put into fixing the deathrattle? Are you looking to hand it over to someone to fix it, or doing the repairs yourself?

Where in Chapel Hill are you, B/C I'm actually in Chapel Hill myself (mental note to change my location data) I'm over by the Performance Dealership/ BCBS building. What year is your Buick?

-Greg

Greg- This is James's car that he bought from Kevin at Performance. He bought it knowing that it had some issues, but we did'nt think it was that bad. We put the car back together, tied up a couple of loose ends, and it ran great..... for about a day. Then it suddenly developed the death rattle. Turns out that it spun a bearing. The motor is apart, and we pulled it today. The new one is on the way.

Sharif

Yeah, its an 87 GN hard top, I think the only option it doesn't have is the digital dash. So far I love it, even if it did puke on me.

Hey Man

If ya don't mind me asking , who did ya deal with as far as getting a new motor???

I delt with a company called Able engine(?) out of somewhere in ca. I think that it was definitely a gamble, but it was hard to beat the price and warranty combo(3yr unlim. mi!). So far it seems to be doing well, but we will see what happens when we try and sqeeze more out of it. Regardless, I'm still looking for someone in the area who knows these motors to help me with the one I killed.

thanks

I would like more info.!!!!! It come with a turbo crank for sure?? Come with heads?? Got a phone number or web site??

www.ableengines.com should get you there, you will have to send a request for the price or call 1-800-865-0449 8-5 pst. I'm not willing to say they are the best thing going, yet. You are undoubtedly better off to deal with someone who knows these motors. The most frustrating thing with Able is the specs. Yes it is a complete long block, 109 block casting, 220 crank casting, and the 8445 heads. But, they could not tell me the bore size. They assured me it was a 10-10 crank, but could not be sure on the bore, although he assured me it would'nt be more than 60 over! (great.) I lucked out and got a 40 over block, but if they are puching these things out to 60, be wary. Again, the motor runs, and runs well, but I can't atest to the longevity or durability as I have less than 3hundo miles on it. As for the original motor, yes it is torn down, the #3 rod bearing ate its own a$$, I can only assume because of our little buddy detonation. The bearing didn't spin, but I think the crank is junk. P.S. Sorry if it takes me a while to respond, but I work like a donkey.