Backspace And Offset

SNOWBIRD

WILL A 4 INCH BACKSPACE LOOSE SOME OF ITS BACKSPACE BY HAVEING A NEGATIVE OFFSET..(-6.00 MM OR 1/4 INCH)...I AM LOOKING FOR WHEELS AND MANY ARE ANVERTIZED WITH A BACKSPACE AND THEN A ADDITIONAL OFFSET ,WHICH IS CONFUFUSING ME....I WANT TO RUN A 8 INCH WHEEL WITH NO OFFSET BUT MANY WHEEL COMPANYS OFFER A OFFSET.:confused:

Backspacing is what is important. The measurement from the outer edge of the wheel to the mounting flange. A 8 inch wide wheel is actually 9 inches wide 1/2" extra on each side. Most 8 inch wide wheels with 4 inch backspacing will have a -12mm or so offset to make up for the 1/2".

8 inch wheel = 9 inches wide , center of wheel is 4.5" , offset is movement in or out from this measurement. So to get the 4 inches of backspacing you need to move the flange off center (offset)towards the inner part of wheel (negative) 12mm.

Backspacing is what is important. The measurement from the outer edge of the wheel to the mounting flange. A 8 inch wide wheel is actually 9 inches wide 1/2" extra on each side..
i never really noticed this, why are wheels sized this way?