backfire dents hood ????

oldhotrod

pedal to the floor BAM it stops sounds bad .i got out, under hood the tube to the cooler was off i also found 3 vacum lines off.i hooked every thing back up.sounds ok .when the tube blew off it dented the hood.i need to get better clamps ,so what happned?and where can i get the aircraft type clamps?

T-bolt clamps...check the vendors here. Been there done that. I've been told that the regular clamps will hold to about 20-21lbs but after that you're going to be tempting fate

dent

I simply had the clamp at the throttle body blow off at about 26psi and it had enough pressure to go thru the insulation and dent the hood. Everyone thought that the engine was blown, I didn't have a clue either. New t bolt clamps were ordered the next day for everything.

Better change those vacuum lines as well. If they pop off once.. they will again.

Degrease all surfaces before installing rubber. Oil is your enemy.

Better change those vacuum lines as well. If they pop off once.. they will again.

Degrease all surfaces before installing rubber. Oil is your enemy.

X2 on the degrease!!! Lube may help them slip on, but it also assists with slipping off too.

it backfired again today at about half throttle didnt blow hoses off this time,but what is causing these backfires???

I would say check your ignition module, spark plug gap, and wires. If all those are good I would then check your cam sensor. What plugs are you using and what are they gapped at? How much boost?

Plugs r ac r24ts gap is 32 wires ok , when i blew the inlet to dog house boost was about 18, the other day when it backfired boost was 12

ps Kieth,if you r reading this I just finished with my powermaster to hydroboost brake changeover.works good except the rod that hooks up to brake pedal that came with the new hydroboost was too long i had to get a short one ok now

You better check that your fuel pressure is rising lb. for lb. with boost.... sounds like it's not, and it's going lean, causing the backfire... the next 'bang' could very well be the head gaskets shooting out the side of the block.... or worse....:eek: You will need to hook a fp gage to the rail with an extension hose so you can temporarily tape it to the windshield where you can see it while driving. FP should rise above base setting (vac line off regulator) EXACTLY 1 psi for every psi of boost..... ie, with 43 psi base setting, at 18 psi boost, fp should equal 43 + 18 = 61 psi.... a failing fuel pump will cause the fp to start to rise as you build boost, and then the fp will plummet as boost (and fuel demand) increases.... if fp is behaving properly, the next most likely suspect is a failing coil pack.... been there, done that....:wink:

I would test your coil pack then and reset your cam sensor. I had an issue with my cam sensor once that was causing the same problem and I went threw all kinds of plugs and a couple modules before trying the cam sensor.