B&M shifter question

BarbeeT

Just starting
Hi everyone im in the process of installing a b&m megashifter into my car, and its alittle bit of a pain in the ass!!! does anyone have any pictures that I could see that would help me, and some type of directions to follow???? also how is the best why to adjust the cable and shifter to get nice smooth ratcheting when shifting??? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks alot Kevin.

It's not the easiest install...but not real bad...you do have to cut up the console and shifter plate...remove the console...stock shifter...shifter cable...bolt the front of the B&M to the stock mounting pad...I drilled another hole in shifter mount to match the stock mount holes...used the stock bolts...for the back of the B&M I used long bolts...drilled new holes in the tunnel and just put a bunch of washers/nuts between the shifter mount and the tunnel to take up the space...you could use other things to take up the space...long spacer of some type...I had to drill a new hole in the tunnel for the B&M shifter cable...it was binding if I tried to use the stock hole...the cable goes out the hole towards the pass side....loops around the back of the tranny to the shifter linkage...I attached the cable to the pan on the pass side and at the very back using some rubber insulated clamps...I've attached a few pics of cut up console...linkage piece...clamp...shifter installed...

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 199
  • weldedpiece.jpg
    weldedpiece.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 194
  • Clamp.jpg
    Clamp.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Mega2.JPG
    Mega2.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 260
Here's another pic of what the shifter cable looks like attached...on a stock pan everything fits fine...for an aftermarket deep pan...you will have to tweak(bend..maybe grind) the shifter bracket...also I would stick with the regular B&M shifter cable...not the thicker HD one...I tried installing the HD one and it was just too thick...had trouble looping it around the trans...and it kept bending the bracket up on the shifter attachment point...another tip...as you are cutting the console...put the shifter on the ground and test fit the console over it...it's easier than installing the shifter and having to remove...replace the console in the car numerous times...

Attachments

• transpan.jpg
    transpan.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 332
Thanks alot for the pics and info, this clears up pretty much everything I had questions about! U said you had to cut a new hole for the shifter cable, what just close enough to the stock hole just soo the cable is straighter and doesnt bind???

Ditto on new cable hole. I just did a pistol grip pro stick and same difference. Move the hole to the pass side of the tunnel. As for mounting, I bent a new plate out of 1/8 inch mild steel and drilled and bolted the shifter to it. Then drilled it for the factory mounting locations. Get a cable bracket off of a column shift Regal and weld it to the B&M piece. This is a pic of my bracket. After that it is just like he said in the other responce. I have not cut my console yet. I am hesitant and my make a custom one.

Thanks
Coach

Attachments

• B&M_bracket_with_Buick_lock-out.jpg
    B&M_bracket_with_Buick_lock-out.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 144