Axle bearing removal, any tips?

TwoLaneBlackTop

About done
I am installing a new set of axles with c-clip eliminators, but to do this I must remove the old axle bearings and seal but this is holding me up as of now. I don't have a slide hammer handy so does any one have an idea on how to remove these things without one?

Axle bearing removal

At the risk of getting flamed (pun intended) if you are good with a cutting torch, they may be removed without harm to the tube. They can also be cut off an axle (in an on the axle application) without harming the axle. I have a slide hammer puller and a really stubborn one is still really difficult. I will have to admit, though my puller is a general type, not one specially designed for this task. Usually, when trying the slap hammer I break the bearing outer race sides, freeing the roller bearings, then I score/cut the race a couple of places (an abrasive cutter or "Dotco" or the torch may be used). Now with the race softened/weakened, the slap hammer will take it on out. Use rags inbd of the bearing to contain bearings and other trash and clean the tube like you would a shot gun prior to installing the new bearing/seal.

JN

A slide hammer will work if its a good one. I used one from a Parts store and tore the seal and bearings up before i could get them off. My friend showed up with a snap on unit and the seals and bearing on the other side came out in two hits.

On another note... remember to use copious amounts of "The right stuff" instead of RTV for a no leak install.

yeah a good slide hammer with the correct puller head attached (one that contacts the bearing in two spots, across from each other) is the best way to go. just watch that you dont pinch the heal of your hand, hehe