Awsome crash video

When I first saw that I was amazed. Obvioulsy I expected great results for the newer Imp, but I was totally shocked by the extent of the damage to that huge old Chevy.

Very cool to see how far technology has come into building safer cars.

Not being a conspiracist, but why is there a cloud of rust coming from the undercarriage of the Bel-Air? Perhaps not a fair test?

the '58 to '64 chevy fullsize cars had an X shaped frame.. they didn't crash well.. they were more interested in style in those days

Dust cloud was from dust in frame and rocker panels. Vents get clogged. What a waste of a really nice 59.... :(

I like to see the same test only this time with a 73 Impala???

It would look about the same. The frame under the old cars are no where near as strong as a new car. New cars have frame rails and upper aprons all designed to fold to take the hit. The old frames are flimsy.

X frame vs new technology

As I restored and still own a X frame 1963 impala SS, this video is an eye opener for sure. The X frame was not the greatest design and is flimsy which is why GM stopped it after 1964 as the increased HP coming out was reaking havoc with the ol X frame. The 425HP 409's were pulling the upper control arm out of the frame, the stupid center carrier bearing for the drive shaft was another reason and the body cracked along the quarter panel where it meets the roof after a few years.

Why this test was done, makes me wonder but metal fatague, rust, worn out body mounts perhaps even replaced bumper bolts could all factor in. Seatbelts were not required until 1966 by the Federal Gov. so death statistics again are not apple to apple comparison as to how safe a car in 1959 was compared to today's car. The use of super computers and the Insurance Institue's work has no doubt made our cars much safer today. I vote for a retest with a 59 caddie !