Average price for car trailer?

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
Wondering what the average new and used price for an 18' open car trailer would be with:
Diamond plate
dove tail rear
slide out ramps
Gravity brakes / non-electric
Dual axle

Thanks

Here's two samples from up near the Philadelphia area (both have dual axle electric brakes though...

- 16' open deck, 92" (?) fender to fender (approx $1800).
- 18' closed deck, 102" fender to fender (approx $2400).

When myself and a friend were looking for these, we found several mfg's that were cheaper, but it showed in little things like the ammount of metal used in the frame, the D-rings for tie downs, wheel stops, trailer tounge jack mounting, ramp placement & construction, etc.

You get what you pay for.

Mine (the 18' closed deck) is now 4 years old. It's been outside & uncovered the entire time. Any rust spots are covered with spray paint when needed. It's still working 100%. No problems at all. I couldn't be happier.

As a matter of fact I was looking tonight for a car trailer. What you describe would be about 2200 here. 1800 if you didn't want the diamond plate and would be happy with planks...

James

Bishir,
If you are really interested and dont mind driving down , I can point you n the right direction for a 18 ft car trailer with elec brakes and wood deck. There is a place in Sebastian, just south of me that sells cheap. Like 1400 for the above trailer. Ive had one for several years with no issues.

Louie, I'm going to see if the guy will budge off of 1800 first. It's 7 hours just to drive to Orlando not counting the price of gas in the HD. I wish I lived in Missouri still, it seems there are some cheap trailers there.

Jack, that trailer is NICE!

James

Jack's trailer is almost exactly what I was looking for. I've seen a few with the rear center section cut out which makes it really easy to get up under to the rear axle's.

I can also fabricate my own rock guards and tie down loops if I need to as I'm fairly handy with a welder.

trailer

I bought a trailer over off of the SW loop 820 just south of Ramey from a place called discount trailers. They were across the highway from C&S trailer world. Last time I was by there they had a different sign up so it could be a different company now. I bought an 18' total length(16' w/2' dovetail) raised wood deck, wrapped tongue and bull dog hitch. ramps that slide into the side behind the axle. This particular trailer was built w/o brakes as I was towing with a 1 ton crewcab at the time and was too cheap to buy the brakes. This trailer was $1080 several years ago so I'm sure the price will have gone up. Open deck is something the "yankees"(No flame please) invented to save some money. Down here a guy needs a full deck as ya never know when you'll need to carry a narrow front tractor, or help your friends move. Good luck with your search.

Rich

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Jack's trailer is almost exactly what I was looking for. I've seen a few with the rear center section cut out which makes it really easy to get up under to the rear axle's.

I can also fabricate my own rock guards and tie down loops if I need to as I'm fairly handy with a welder.

I also bought A PJ at the same place as Jack's a week later. I have an open so it was a few $ cheaper.

I bought a 16ft dovetail woodbed open trailer with slide out ramps about 7 years ago for $750 new. That was with treated wood but without brakes (my only regret). I have used that thing who knows how many times (I pull a race car on it every weekend of race season). It has hauled cars to several different states. I've hauled a 3/4 ton dodge truck on it with no problems. It's built well and will handle a load.

Very well made and still in good shape. Goes through tires (as all trailers do), but otherwise has paid for itself 10x over.

Goodluck..

Check Terry's Trailers in Oklahoma City. http://www.terrystrailers.com/
Bought a 20 foot Racer's Special from them last year and love it. It pulls my GS's real well. Great people to deal with. Will custom build what you want. They use 5 inch tube for the frame instead of c-channel. They also dress them up nicely. When i bought mine they had by far the best price I could find. I drove from Florida to Oklahoma to pick it up and do not regret it.

Wondering what the average new and used price for an 18' open car trailer would be with:
Diamond plate
dove tail rear
slide out ramps
Gravity brakes / non-electric
Dual axle

Thanks

IMO, you want the brakes, and be sure to get 15" tires.

New mine was $2,200, and had LED lighting.

Thanks for the leads Rich and Randy. Terrys trailers look like they are very good quality. And I am planning to go by C&S on I-820 this week. I was thinking of getting a tilt bed so that it would be easier to get the TTA on it as it sits extremely low. But it appears that the standard trailer at terry's may work since it has a 4' dovetail and 5' ramps, thats 9' of ramp area which is what I would have with a 18' tilt since the tilt point is in the center of the 18' and is equal to the deck surface. Terry's would only be about a 2 hour drive from me.

I was thinking of getting a tilt bed so that it would be easier to get the TTA on it as it sits extremely low.

If you just load on hard surfaces they're OK, but they can easily be *sprung* when used on soft surfaces. When I was looking for a trailer, I found 3-4 of them, that the *bed* no longer sat square in the frame. Maybe they'd been overloaded or something but they all were that way.

YMMV

Originally posted by bruce
If you just load on hard surfaces they're OK, but they can easily be *sprung* when used on soft surfaces. When I was looking for a trailer, I found 3-4 of them, that the *bed* no longer sat square in the frame. Maybe they'd been overloaded or something but they all were that way.

YMMV
Yeah, I was thinking there more parts there to go wrong. I'm hoping I find one low enough and with long enough rmaps that I don't need a tilt. Just keeping all option open at this point, but I've found some that are 19" tall and has a 10' ramp including the dove tail that should be plenty of angle to not scrape on.

Yeah, I was thinking there more parts there to go wrong. I'm hoping I find one low enough and with long enough rmaps that I don't need a tilt. Just keeping all option open at this point, but I've found some that are 19" tall and has a 10' ramp including the dove tail that should be plenty of angle to not scrape on.

I always carry cribbing. My car just clears, on a level surface, but it seems like, I never wind up on level ground. A couple of 2x6s with 45d bevels at the end are usually enough, but I carry a few more just in case. Not to mention if I have to go get something that's broken I'd rather have them, and not need them then need them and not have them.

I've wound up with a collection of stuff, for *odd* uses, come alongs, chain hoist, chains, eyelets, webbing, etc, etc. I laughed at the thought of getting a utility bed truck up until I started using the trailer.

I've found one that is only 17" high at the deck surface with a 10' ramp...that should be plenty low enough to get the TTA on, and only has 6" tall fenders so plenty of door clearance for the lowest cars. Its the "Customer Challenger" at www.Terrystrailers.com go to "Car Hualers" and its the last one at the bottom. Very nice, and is tube construction so its a lot lighter but just as strong as I-beam, and its $2250
Surge brakes are $400 more
They can put an in-floor storage box on it for $200, thats cool.