Average motor rebuild price?

84GNwith87eng

Just curious, I think I have a bottom end noise and I'm not 100% what it could be. How much can I expect to pay for a complete tear down and build up of the motor? I want to keep the stock heads but have them cleaned up and updated with new valve springs and use oem-type internals. I can't afford forged yet. My turbo and injectors are brand new so they won't need servicing.

Any ideas? Ballpark? :confused:

Ha Ha .. $2500 to drop it off at a shop. What are they smoking?? You would be lucky to get it done under $5000.

Re-using all your stock parts you might get it done for around $500-$600. It will only go up from there.

Agreed I have almost 5g's into mine and I will R+R myself.there is no point in bargain engine rebuilds. like the saying goes" pay me now or pay me later" get it done right and be done with it. It (cost) can be a painful pill to swollow but so can doing it twice.

no more than $2500 using your good eng parts. The guestion you should ask is who can do it reasonably?

5-6 grand is the norm for "reputable builders" - I've gotten lower quotes from other engine builers but I've never heard of them and they scare me when I mention "grand national" and they ask if it's some new-fangled SUV!@%%#%!

Might want to spend the dough and get er done right