Audible Knock Detector

Audie1

Hooah!
I run one of these audible knock detectors. I mounted it in my Glove Box. The Visual only Detectors are worthless IMO, since things are going by so quickly (when the hammer is down) that you hardly have enough concentration to stay focused on the road without looking to see how many pretty little lights are lit up. My question is this: Will an audible detector give you enough warning to prevent blown head gaskets or even worse, if you let off the gas right away (after hearing the detector go off). Hope I don't have to find out anytime soon, but seems like GN's are spooling ever faster these days with these Hybred Boost Controllers, NOS assist and what not else..............I mean do these audible detectors really give you enough fore warning to be of any real value to help prevent a disaster?...........Please give either a yes or no answer along with your reasoning behind your answer..................Thanks

I believe I've heard it said, once the knock detector has sensed detonation and has told the ECM to back off timing, the damage has already begun.

All a knock alarm does is tell you that the knock sensor has picked up what it believes to be knock. Which if it's true knock and obviously if you don't take your foot off the pedal you'll be replacing head gaskets if not picking up your engines internals off the street.

I bought one when I bought my car in 2000.......... really was kind of a waste of money........... its never really helped me out at all, only heard it a few times on false knock........ all I can tell you is TUNE YOUR CAR, you shouldnt need a audible detector :) HTH

When I popped a head gasket my audible knock detector didn't sound off.:eek: It just happened too quick. Even if I did hear it, it would've been too late to react.

OPEN your ears, took a ride in a friends car and,,... if your that dumb you should not own a forced inducted motor. sr was hrrble

BW

I figured with as much $$$ as we spend building up our TR's, why not spend a couple of bucks protecting that "somewhat risky" investment. Rodney87GN's statement struck home with me....When I popped a head gasket my audible knock detector didn't sound off. It just happened too quick. Even if I did hear it, it would've been too late to react.......So I'm thinking that if there is massive immediate knock then you are probably a day late and dollar short so to speak. Like when an Alky Pump or one of your Double Pumper's fails under high Boost maybe.....or when someone fails to work there way up to a certain amount of high boost??? I'm guessing that the Audible Detector maybe of help when you have slight knock, (not enough where major damage could happen)................So obviously keeping your car tuned towards the amount of Boost you are running, or are going to be running is imperitive. So it is not some magical forcefield that gives you a "Get outta Knock free card".:frown:

Audie1 said:
Rodney87GN's statement struck home with me....When I popped a head gasket my audible knock detector didn't sound off. It just happened too quick. Even if I did hear it, it would've been too late to react.......So I'm thinking that if there is massive immediate knock then you are probably a day late and dollar short so to speak. Like when an Alky Pump or one of your Double Pumper's fails under high Boost maybe.....or when someone fails to work there way up to a certain amount of high boost??? I'm guessing that the Audible Detector maybe of help when you have slight knock, (not enough where major damage could happen)................So obviously keeping your car tuned towards the amount of Boost you are running, or are going to be running is imperitive. So it is not some magical forcefield that gives you a "Get outta Knock free card".:frown:

Exactly. I think too many people rely on the stock knock system thinking that if the knock detector ain't going off then there's no knock. What Quick6nKC said holds true. If you can actually HEAR knock and your detector isn't going off then back out of it! Your plugs will tell the tale.

Not saying a knock detector alert of some sort is useless. I still use one with my scanmaster backing it up.

I should also mention that when I blew a HG it's because the alky pump didn't come on. 2nd gear roll and 26 psi with 91 octane and no alky...only thing I heard is a loud pop.

I have been told this so many times If I hear knock and you will know , sounds like hammers hitting the pistons, I have no idea what this sounds like? I hope I never do :eek:

Buy one of these. J&S Electronics SafeGuard Indivdual Cylinder Knock Control
This has saved my Syclone engine a few times.

It reacts faster than the stock ECM.

It's worth every penny IMO & others.

that unit is alot like the fatory ESC on the early carb turbo cars.

same basic concept but with much better internals and knock sensors.

very cool.

I still think that these devices arent much help, other than retarding timing pretty much after the damage has begun.

A.j.

I found the audible knock detector very useful! No doubt in my mind.

Important tip here: Make sure you have the correct torque on your knock sensor.

I found the audible knock detector very useful! No doubt in my mind.

Important tip here: Make sure you have the correct torque on your knock sensor.

Yep...........it is torqued to just 14ftlb and no more or it will be too sensitive. Also do not use any thread tape etc or it will not be sensitive enough.

I have been told this so many times If I hear knock and you will know , sounds like hammers hitting the pistons, I have no idea what this sounds like?

I've always been told it sounds like marbles in a can...or a light metallic pinging sound.

Back when I first started with the tb's I thought at the very least you had to have a knock gauge. :rolleyes: My car came with both audible and the caspers led. As time went on and I became more in tune to things, I rendered these devices useless. :eek:

IMO A scanmaster is hands down #1. It's not just a row of lights and a beeper. You really get a powerful tool for the money. Something you can tune with.

Now when catastrophic failure occurs and severe knock rears it's ugly head, it's too late. The silver salute from under your hood will already have done its damage.

I remember back during the great walbro meltdown. Came rollin of the on ramp to I 80 and POPOPOPOPOP!:eek: Took out allot of guy's hg's that way. Hurt my cometics but they still hung tough. Showed no signs of any problems. Later, when I pulled the heads for other reasons, #2 was half blown into the valley. :redface: Had to be blowing by during boost. Still managed to make enough power to crack the block. :redface:

that unit is alot like the fatory ESC on the early carb turbo cars.

same basic concept but with much better internals and knock sensors.

very cool.

I still think that these devices arent much help, other than retarding timing pretty much after the damage has begun.

A.j.

I think it would be worth trying one out.

Since I have one on my Syclone, I have never heard any audible detonation,,,,,,,,it works that fast.

If you can hear the audble knock & a Syclone engine when your boosting, it's most likely too late,blew a piston

You can set it so it will retard the timing on the cylinder that is detonating or set it so all cylinders retard when any one or more cylinders is detonating.:cool: