Audible Knock Alarm+FAST....Is It Possible?

DoWork

I was digging through this box of crap I got with my car, and I came across an ANS knock light/knock alarm. I would kind of like to put it in. First off, is there really any reason to, and would it be worth my time?

Second, everything I read about knock alarms said to connect it to the connector for the ecu. Well, I have the old FAST system(grey box, I THINK its called C-Com, at least thats what the software is...), how would I go about hooking it up then?

Thanks,
-Todd

It will work. If you are using an adaptor harness, hook it up just like stock. If you are using a stand alone it will need to be hooked up to the ESC wire.

not to go too far off topic, but i've been told that its not worth having a knock dector because once you hear it your already in knock and even if you do let off it the damage is done. That and it's going to be annoying with every little thing that could cause false knock and set it off. Is is really worth using the knock gauge i have or just reading it off my scanmaster?

It will work. If you are using an adaptor harness, hook it up just like stock. If you are using a stand alone it will need to be hooked up to the ESC wire.

Thank you for your response. Where is the ESC wire located?

not to go too far off topic, but i've been told that its not worth having a knock dector because once you hear it your already in knock and even if you do let off it the damage is done. That and it's going to be annoying with every little thing that could cause false knock and set it off. Is is really worth using the knock gauge i have or just reading it off my scanmaster?

x2....since the orig poster got his answer taking care of I'd like to hear some input on this :confused:

I think it depends on the combination. I never recommend it for a solid cam, Q16, racecar. On a streetcar it could be beneficial, since detonation doesn't ALWAYS damage your engine. I always want as much information as I can get when tuning a car.

it helps you catch detonation early instead of pounding your motor through the rest of a qtr mile blast.

it also picks up broken valvetrain, bad tensioners, waterpumps, alternators, motormounts, banging downpipes and rod knocks! :eek:

my caspers knock guage can pick up two flies banging at the top of Mt Everest...either that or im still in the learning curve of the whole boost vs.octane situation:confused:

it helps you catch detonation early instead of pounding your motor through the rest of a qtr mile blast.

it also picks up broken valvetrain, bad tensioners, waterpumps, alternators, motormounts, banging downpipes and rod knocks! :eek:

my caspers knock guage can pick up two flies banging at the top of Mt Everest...either that or im still in the learning curve of the whole boost vs.octane situation:confused:

So boost...do you think it's better to just get a visual knock gauge then?...Is the audible too sensitive to the point it just become annoying?

Thats the nice thing about the unit I have....It has teo toggles on it. One is for a light, and the other is for sound. I can shut one or the other off, or run them both at the same time.

You can kind of see it in this pic. Its just the left of the Tach...
IMG00091-1.jpg