Audi S5 with a V8 gets schooled

Silver Fox

So there I was…

My wife, son and I just got finished having some barbeque pork chops and a rib eye at Cooper’s Barbeque.

We were slowly making our way home on a 55 mph two lane road when a newer blue Audi S5 comes flying up to the back of my car. The speed limit drops down to 45 and then the road widens into two lanes. Lo and behold, the stoplight in front of us turns red (Mean Chicken style).

The S5 jumps over to the left lane, and I notice the V8 badges on the fender. I guess he didn’t pay any attention to the silver “family” car with dual exhaust and 17 inch wheels he had just been tailgating.

I tell my wife that is a pretty car, and she says yes it is. I tell her to hang on, and we will see how well the S5 runs. The light turns green, I nail it and wait for the turbo to spool up.

The S5 driver must have figured it was game on when the back of my car dropped, the nose rose, and the turbo went to full boost. Even at full boost, I got great traction and didn't spin one bit. At about 75mph he had never gotten any closer than my drivers door. Since I had to take a right turn, I braked.

The Audi goes by, and my son says, ”Papa, he didn’t even look over at you.”

As I took the right turn I thought to myself, "I really wish I would have been in my Buick, and not driving my wife’s turbocharged Subaru Outback station wagon."

Although I wish my Buick would hook on the street like the Subaru's all wheel drive system does.

I have to wonder what the Audi S5 driver was thinking about losing to a station wagon.

He was thinking "If only he could get you in his sights".
Congratulations on the kill.

Ha! That was great! I couldn't convince the wife to get the turbo version when she was car shopping in 05, she won't pay for premium fuel. I estimated it as a mid to low 15 car. Have you ever tried it at the track?

Never tried it at the track, but I think I read it runs 14.9 or so in some magazine a few years back. You really have to abuse the clutch to get it to launch well. It's pretty quick to about 70-75 but then slows down a bit.

The one I test drove was an automatic. The stick should be a little faster.