ATV\4-wheeler advice

Falcon351C

Im in the market for a quad. I've narrowed it to 4 in particular.
The yamaha wolverine 350 4x4, yamama big bear 400 4x4, honda rancher 4x4 and the kawasaki bayou 4x4. My main use for this quad will be tough trails, mud, hunting, and having fun. Im not into the high speed stuff...so top end isnt a issue...it's down low that counts for me. I want something super reliable....go anywhere off road and comfy. what do you guys think? Any first hand experience with these quads? pro's\con's? The good, the bad, the ugly? Thanks for any help.

Wolverine would be my first selection in this group, buy I will tell you NONE of these quads stack up to the Polaris Sportsman 400 4X4 in tough conditions. I can go places and do things on my Sportsman that the others can't. I been in mud holes where the Big Bears sit on the sidelines and just watch - they don't have the 11.5" of group clearance required to get out of the mud.

Off my box, but to finish - "nothing beats a Polaris in the rough stuff".

;)

honda

Originally posted by gndude
Wolverine would be my first selection in this group, buy I will tell you NONE of these quads stack up to the Polaris Sportsman 400 4X4 in tough conditions. I can go places and do things on my Sportsman that the others can't. I been in mud holes where the Big Bears sit on the sidelines and just watch - they don't have the 11.5" of group clearance required to get out of the mud.

Off my box, but to finish - "nothing beats a Polaris in the rough stuff".

;)

LMAO............I have a polaris and A yamaha and A honda....."nothing beats a polaris" .. You got to be kidding !!!!

GO ith the honda, you grand kids will be able to ride it when they grow up, Oh yea the polaris I have is a 2002 model and the yamaha is a 2002 model, The Honda is a 96 with about 55,000 miles on it, only had to replace all the tires 7 times and the gas petcock once and the battery 2 times. No polaris will ever be around with this many miles on them!!

If your going through trails, you will not want a polaris 500. Way too big! The suspension is awsome though. I have ridden all of the above and thats why I bought a Rancher/Rancher 4x4. great shifting program and a very reliable quad. My brother had a sportsman 500 and he sold it a few months later because of problems he had with it. Sloppy steering rack,leaking oil,Band slipping,reverse was too hard and slow to grab and more I cant thinkl of now. The one's you selected are not too bad but it all depend on what you do with it! My re-sale value was very good!HTH

Originally posted by TT/Ameasap
If your going through trails, you will not want a polaris 500. Way too big! The suspension is awsome though. I have ridden all of the above and thats why I bought a Rancher/Rancher 4x4. great shifting program and a very reliable quad. My brother had a sportsman 500 and he sold it a few months later because of problems he had with it. Sloppy steering rack,leaking oil,Band slipping,reverse was too hard and slow to grab and more I cant thinkl of now. The one's you selected are not too bad but it all depend on what you do with it! My re-sale value was very good!HTH

"Band slipping"? You mean belt - if so you won't like the Yamaha, Kawasaki because they are belt driven as well. I don't know where you guys ride or how long you have ridden ( I've got 16 years of ride exp.), but I'll tell you this - NO stock Wolverine or Rancher will stay with me in the mud and tough stuff. Polaris is the only bike in the bunch with IRS suspension and true 4 wheel drive. Compare turning radius, ground clearance and final drive. If you like getting stuck, buy a Honda or Yamaha else get the Polaris. If you listen to the Honda bunch they will fill you full of BS - go drive them and pick the best fit. Don't believe me, checkout www.highlifter.com and see what others are saying about the Polaris in the rough stuff.

Re: honda

Originally posted by Hyper
LMAO............I have a polaris and A yamaha and A honda....."nothing beats a polaris" .. You got to be kidding !!!!

GO ith the honda, you grand kids will be able to ride it when they grow up, Oh yea the polaris I have is a 2002 model and the yamaha is a 2002 model, The Honda is a 96 with about 55,000 miles on it, only had to replace all the tires 7 times and the gas petcock once and the battery 2 times. No polaris will ever be around with this many miles on them!!

Tell it like it is - you get stuck and have to have a Polaris pull you out when you ride. Get a clue and tell the truth, anybody that rides on a regular basis will know what I'm talking about. 96 Honda huh - you would be hard pressed to follow a Sportsman in that POS.

seems that i have read, honda won baja on a basically stock rincon? honda pos huh.... only good atv polaris has is the predator, polaris sleds on the other hand.

Originally posted by choppers4life
seems that i have read, honda won baja on a basically stock rincon? honda pos huh.... only good atv polaris has is the predator, polaris sleds on the other hand.

Never claimed - Honda POS, I saide 96 Honda POS. Ricon goes for well over 7K. This guy has constrained his purchase to a 350-400cc unit. In that price range, NOBODY can touch Polaris. Don't trust my opinion - read all you can in the trade rags and websites - they all tell it like it is. Sure the current model Honda Ricon is good bike - but for well over 7K give me a break. A Polaris Sportsman 400 can be had for $4900 - put 2K in your pocket and laugh all the way to the bank.

If you want power, you need to look at the Kawasaki Prairie 650. I love mine.

BTW, I think I have pulled just about every brand and model out of the deep mud.

Joe

Originally posted by GNX Guy
If you want power, you need to look at the Kawasaki Prairie 650. I love mine.

BTW, I think I have pulled just about every brand and model out of the deep mud.

Joe

Prairie 650 - your joking right? The guy is looking at 350-400cc bikes, not big bore machines? If you open up the search to any bike at any price I would change my tune as well. Given his constraint on money, my recommendation stands.

BTW, are you telling me you pull as many true 4X4, IRS machines out of the mud as you do solid axle 3 wheel drive machines ( in any CC class)? Next time I'm out I'll get some video to backup my observations.

You must be reading a different post as I did not see anywhere about a constrait on $$$.

Can't say I've kept a detailed log but I did pull a big bore Grizzly out of the mud twice last friday.

Joe

Originally posted by gndude
Prairie 650 - your joking right? The guy is looking at 350-400cc bikes, not big bore machines? If you open up the search to any bike at any price I would change my tune as well. Given his constraint on money, my recommendation stands.

BTW, are you telling me you pull as many true 4X4, IRS machines out of the mud as you do solid axle 3 wheel drive machines ( in any CC class)? Next time I'm out I'll get some video to backup my observations.

Thanks for all your input...

Well I got a kick out of reading all your replies. Got some good info to. And Gndude is right....I want to keep the price under $5500. I was tempted to go for the big bikes..like the prarie 650 or the polaris 700 v-twin...but thats just wayyy out of my budget. I'll look into the sportsman 400, Sounds like a tough machine. But im still undecided. This helped though..since no one reported major faults of any of the bikes. Thats what I was worried about. Buying something...and having it go majorly wrong. But hopefully in todays competitive market....most bikes are built to last. I'll keep you posted on what I get and how I like it. thanks again.

Awww...one more thing....

When I do get a quad...and go through a set of tires...whats a good replacement tire? Something really meaty...something that will pull me through almost anything? whats should I check out?
something like the super swamper bogger...but of the quad world =)

go buy a dirt wheels magazine or 4wheel action. full of parts, test and etc: are you set on a 4x4? for $5500 you can step up to a kfx400 sport quad or a banshee. i have a couple different machines but i'm not into 4x4 stuff.

at $5500 your sport quad choices are:
KFX400
Z400 ( SAME BIKE AS KFX400 BUT YELLOW )
warrior
400ex
banshee

my personal choice, used lonestar 250r

my honest advice is stay away from anything polaris. they have not been in the atv market nearly as long as the Japanese companies. for sales and service go yamaha, kawasaki or honda.

for aftermarket:
mickey dunlap's fourstroke tech
white brothers
dr. d
dmc alien exhaust

if you want polaris:
hot seat performance
rath racing

oh ya, for tires
ITP Blackwater XT Big Foot Kit 27" tall
requires lift kit

go buy a dirt wheels magazine or 4wheel action. full of parts, test and etc: are you set on a 4x4? for $5500 you can step up to a kfx400 sport quad or a banshee. i have a couple different machines but i'm not into 4x4 stuff.

at $5500 your sport quad choices are:
KFX400
Z400 ( SAME BIKE AS KFX400 BUT YELLOW )
warrior
400ex
banshee

my personal choice, used lonestar 250r

my honest advice is stay away from anything polaris. they have not been in the atv market nearly as long as the Japanese companies. for sales and service go yamaha, kawasaki or honda.

for aftermarket:
mickey dunlap's fourstroke tech
white brothers
dr. d
dmc alien exhaust

if you want polaris:
hot seat performance
rath racing

oh ya, for tires
ITP Blackwater XT Big Foot Kit 27" tall
requires lift kit

So your hangup with Polaris is its made in the USA? Let's get that cleared up now - the Sportsman 400 motor is made in Japan so really it is a part Japanesse bike. That shoots down that argument. Service - I'd say Honda and the others are better, but how often do you take things to the dealer? Part cost - Polaris is way cheaper - go price a belt for a Sportsman and a Yamaha OR price a radiator fan ( which will go bad if you ride in the mud). Polaris parts can be had for less $$$.

what, made in america.. hang up... gimme a break, i have two polaris sleds dude. i'm looking at time in the game. the jap's big 3 have been there from the start. belts, real bikes have chains... argue all you want, time after time the big 3 win out.... remember win on sunday, sell on monday

what, made in america.. hang up... gimme a break, i have two polaris sleds dude. i'm looking at time in the game. the jap's big 3 have been there from the start. belts, real bikes have chains... argue all you want, time after time the big 3 win out.... remember win on sunday, sell on monday

Why do you keep bringing up sleds - we are talking quads here? Real bikes have chains - what for to wear out and lube all the time? Wake up and smell the coffee, Polaris machines are the best bet in the 350-500 CC range, nothing you've brought up disputes that? You brought up the Japanesse issue, I just pointed out that in fact the Polaris is made in Japan.

"The big 3 win out..." Win at what - races? Read the dudes post, he wants something for slow riding in the mud and trails (4X4) and you offer up a 400 Kaw sport bike ( 2X4)? Man, put down the crack pipe and offer up some real advice

ok, well you give him advise that leads to consumer dissatisfaction.. that quad will be for sale in a year.. i bring up sleds for one simple reason.. q/c... all manufactures have set policy that carries through out the product line.

"The big 3 win out..." Win at what - races? Read the dudes post, he wants something for slow riding in the mud and trails (4X4) and you offer up a 400 Kaw sport bike ( 2X4)?"

your not familiar with gncc racing are you? they have so many forms of utility machines, so yes they win races and sell quads based on those wins. ever hear of blackwater? ya, i pointed out a kfx400, i ride a banshee and an lt250r in mud and trails with zero problem.. chains wear out!!! i've been on my same rk "o" ring for 3 years now... lets face it, your smoking crack... you lack any type of real riding experiance to recommend anything, oh wait you have 16 years experiance... i bet 10 of that is towing a polaris huh...

oh ya, real riders shift gears!!!!

i will be at freelin mx park may 14 12-7, feel free to bring polaris out... i would love to double it...