ATTN! O-Ring Information

TurboGeezer

OIL COOLER ADAPTER O-RING INFORMATION

This has been covered many times before, but for anyone new to this dilema, here is some helpful information. The proper replacement part for this OFTEN leaky, OFTEN torn, factory O-ring is the following:

NAPA pn: 7272230

This will get you a Victor Gasket O-ring in the proper diameter to replace the factory O-ring. However, this piece is 1/8" diameter compared to the factor 3/32" piece. This seals your troublesome leaks very well. Just remember to clean the groove in the adapter real well from all old pieces of factory O-ring and debris. Then coat the new O-ring with a little grease before installing. With the new O-ring in place, torque the adapter to 18 - 20 lb-ft. Install your filter and you are ready to clean up the front of your motor from all that old oil and grime (from the previous leak). Enjoy!

Also, if anyone has access to the GNTTYPE List, this may be something good to post in the technical section. Thanks.

TG

When my oil cooler o-ring started leaking on me late one evening, I did some scrounging in my garage and came up with the gasket out of an oil filter. Used my dremel to narrow it a bit to fit it into the oil cooler adapter groove and I was back in business. I rather like the oil filter gasket since it has flat surfaces for sealing against the adapter and the oil pump housing. It seems to me that it is less prone to being twisted, pinched or shredded than the original o-ring. It certainly works well for oil filters, too! My only caution is to be sure the oil filter gasket is not a tall one such that it leaves a lot of gasket exposed once screwed into place. High oil pressure during cold starts can push the gasket out of place if it is not well secured by the grooves in the adapter.

Buzz White in Houston, TX (sumnerw@flash.net)