!ATTN DATA LOGGERS! I need your raw data pleeeease

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Hey guys,

For those who don't know me, I'm currently a researcher and graduate student of mechanical engineering at the University of South Florida working on my PhD. This semester one of my courses is Convection Heat and Mass Transfer in Advanced Thermodynamic Systems. As part of the course I need to write a paper, and i decided to analyze alky injection on turbo engines. Basically i'm in the process of creating a thermodynamic model of what happens when you inject alky, relating all the different variables (pressure, temp, mass flow rates, specific heats, etc. of both the air and alcohol) to predict what the results would be. Ideally I'd then be able to compare this to actual empirical data to either confirm my model, or figure out ways to improve it... this is where you guys come in :)

I don't have alky injection, nor do i have any sort of datalogging setup on my GN, but I know several of you guys have both. If there is any way one (or even better, several) of you guys could send me some of your raw data so I can have some numbers to work with, I would be very very appreciative. I don't know what format the various setups save the data in, but if it's something proprietary that can only be opened by the data-logging software itself that won't do me much good. If it can be saved as a spreadsheet that would be ideal, or even as formatted text that can be opened in notepad would be ok... I can write a program to take that data and import it into excel or matlab or something (though a spreadsheet format would be the best, if thats possible).

I don't know what kind of data you guys typically log, but the perfect setup for me would be to have the following parameters:

Air Mass flow rate (from MAF i assume)
Air pressure and location pressure is measured (pre- or post-alky injection)
air temp pre-alky injection*
air temp post-alky injection*
Alky ambient temp (approximate underhood temp)
Alky used (methanol, ethanol, denatured eth., if a mixture of alky and water, what ratio)
alky injection rate (mass or volumetric flow rate)**

**I am guessing that most of you dont specifically measure the mass/volume flow rate of alky into the system, so if you don't have that info its not a big deal, i can probably normalize the data with respect to that.
*Also, I wouldn't imagine most of you guys have two air-temp sensors, one measuring before the alky injector, and one after. If you do, that is PERFECT for what I'm doing, but if not, there is a workaround. If you have data from two runs, one with alky and one without, where nothing else was changed, I can probably use that as a comparison.

I know this may be asking a lot, but I'm half hoping someone already has this information saved on their computer somewhere. If not, it would be a simple matter of taking the GN out for a little drive and making a few runs... they don't need to be full-boogie pedal-mashing runs, just so long as its under boost and spraying alky for a few seconds should be enough. The boost level isn't critical either, so long as both runs (if doing one with and one without alky) are at about the same level. I mean c'mon, this gives you an excuse to go out and romp around on the GN "Honey, I KNOW I said I'd take out the trash, but this is for SCIENCE!!"

Any help is very appreciated, and I'll even send you a copy of the paper :)

I have some good data if you get the C COM software ill send you a couple XFI files i have. You can see most of what you need there. Unfortunately i dont data log pre alky or pre intercooler temps. You can see injector duty cycle and i can give you very accurate estimates as far as alky consumption.

Bison, I'm not familiar with the software you mentioned (or maybe know it by another name?) but please e-mail me whatever you have and I'll see what I can do, it would be very helpful. Even more so if you can include the amount of alky being injected. Since you don't measure pre- and post- alky injection temps, then data from one run with alky, and data from another run without alky (at similar boost/tune) would be the next best thing, so that I can quanitfy the amount of thermal energy removed by heating/vaporising the alky.

Again, thanks for the info, anything helps and I really appreciate it. You can send any information/files you have to the following e-mail address:

CMLynch2@mail.usf.edu

Thanks!!