Attn: Boston Boy (pic of gas shock mod) in Audiowizards '86 GN

Audiowizard

CARE FOR A SMOKE ANYONE?
Staff member
Here is a pic of the modification that you asked me about that I did to my '86 GN. To get the ports through the rear deck, you have to remove torsion bars completely. This was my design to hold the trunk lid up with gas hood shocks by welding brackets to hinge and trunk floor to hold gas shock into place.

Attachments

• leftsidetrunk.jpg
    leftsidetrunk.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 147
If you have access to a mig-welder, then it should be no problem. Gotta watch for "bubble gum welds" :D

I was in a junk yard a couple weeks ago and there are some G bodys with a shock mounted hinge system rather than the bars that our G bodys use. They used bolt on brackets and it was off a early eighties car just don't remember wich.

Originally posted by WHOOSH86
I was in a junk yard a couple weeks ago and there are some G bodys with a shock mounted hinge system rather than the bars that our G bodys use. They used bolt on brackets and it was off a early eighties car just don't remember wich.

That was brought up in the "general tech" area a few weeks ago and even had a pic of what one looked like. The one small problem with that set up is that where the trunk shocks mount, You would loose several inches off of width of cabinet and would have to build it out more toward taillights to make up difference of lost air space. Not really a problem if you are building a small box.