Attaching coil pack to ignition module

carlsbadGN

I think this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. The six screw channels in my new Delco ignition module (the bottom piece) are not threaded to accept the coil pack screws. Are the original coil pack screws designed to cut threads into the ignition module or do they need to be tapped?

The original screws are "deformed thread" screws that are designed to cut the threads on a new module. It will take quite a bit of torque to cut the threads, I worry about snapping the screw off in the hole, so I normally tap the holes prior to installing the coil pack. As I recall, the tap size is 10-32 UNF.

The original screws are "deformed thread" screws that are designed to cut the threads on a new module. It will take quite a bit of torque to cut the threads, I worry about snapping the screw off in the hole, so I normally tap the holes prior to installing the coil pack. As I recall, the tap size is 10-32 UNF.

I'm not sure on the tap size off the top of my head, but that's what I have done before too. That way you make sure there's no broken screws. And don't forget to put a new gasket in between the coil and module, too.

Tap them first - you'll thank yourself when you are under the hood trying to run the screws in..!!!

DONT use SS screws the will snap off even being careful.
Use the black oxide factory style bolts and take your time and go in a lil and out a lil (no sexual pun intended:biggrin:). Tap would be best but I have had no problems with the factory style being careful.

I was concerned about a screw breaking off without any threads. So, I cut threads with a 10/32 tap and that did the trick.