ATR wastegate

jack4954

I have the ATR wastegate on my TB. It is overboosting. I have tried adjusting it w/ the screw mounted in the middle of the cover w/ no success. My mechanic took the cover off and said that the diaphram looks fine. Where do we go from here?
Thanks in advance,
Jack

Could be the wastegate whole is not big enough or the valve could be seized.

Thanks for your response. I just spoke w/ ATR, and they wanted me to purchase an external "bleeder valve", that works in conjunction w/ their wastegate, but they are out of them and it will be 1-2 months b4 they have any more in. Can I use another type of valve other than theirs?
They said this was the source of my problem, but how can I be sure if it is this, or what the previous post suggested?
Thanks in advance,
Jack

I do not have a bleeder on my ATR gate and it works fine. I bet the wastegate whole needs to be enlarged on the exhaust housing.

Originally posted by jack4954
Thanks for your response. I just spoke w/ ATR, and they wanted me to purchase an external "bleeder valve", that works in conjunction w/ their wastegate, but they are out of them and it will be 1-2 months b4 they have any more in. Can I use another type of valve other than theirs?
They said this was the source of my problem, but how can I be sure if it is this, or what the previous post suggested?
Thanks in advance,
Jack

A "bleeder valve" is used to increase and/or regulate the boost. These valves are not unique or specific to ATR. You can use anything from a cheap brass valve from the hardware store to a Dial-A-Boost valve to an ellaborate electronic controller. Not knowing your turbo or setup, it's hard to say about the wastegate hole size - this isn't usually an issue when running an external gate. Apply compressed air to the side port of the wastegate and see if you can hear the valve open and close. If you can't hear it, the valve could be seized. Good luck!