ATR wastegate adjustment --TOO MUCH BOOST

ruralGN

I have a TE63 turbo that is puttig out too much boost (I know, I know.....never too much). It has a knob adjustment that only brings the boost down about 3 pounds for the max 6 turns. We backed off the wastegate to the max & it is out of adjustment, or I should say, reduction adjustibility. I will call ATR to see if there is a different tension spring/bolt-nut setup. I just thought that maybe someone out there would have some insight.

ATR gate??

Depending on how old the gate is, there's a good chance that the valve guide is the problem. The gate valve and the guide are most likely binding.. A known problem w/ this gate.
Also, the face of the sealing area on the flange on the header where the valve sits can be erroded, and the valve is put in a bind on the stem. seems as the valve is stainless, the flange is not..!

Adjusting on the screw only messes up the accuracy of the gate..

I had John Craig modify mine, still didn't like it.. Replaced it w/ the INNOVATIVE Pro gate...:cool:

How much is too much boost?

How much boost are you getting?

for example: with the top adjustment screw backed all the way out - Does it go to 14 then creep to 18? or does it stay rock steady??

Which spring do you have? the 10, the 14 or the 18?

thanks for the help--ATR

called ATR & they said some of the same things----it is 5 years old but not alot of miles---18 on the spring, I think------I have it turned down to the max (min) & today I was gettin 14# in 1st gear & 18# in 2nd looking at the gauge, so backed off after that---I will pas all of your suggestions on to the guys helping me ----thanks

Sounds like the gate is working fine... Put the 14# spring in it and adjust your bleeder or whatever you have up from there...with the 18# spring in there, 18lbs is basically the minimum amount of boost your car is going to make under full load (3rd gear)... mine does the same thing.....

thanks Rod---so that's what that means

Rod---I hope you are right. At least now I know what the #s mean. Yeah, I'm really that new to this stuff. THANKS! It makes sense in that the guy who "built up" this car for the previous owner put max-everything on it. No doubt an 18 (pound, if you call it that?) if all the other hi-$ stuff on the "build" list is any indication.
What the heck---A 14# spring from ATR is probably cheap I would guess. No risk in trying it. Is it a screw-out-one-screw-in-the-other deal? AND--once I put in a 14, can I boost it up to 20 to 24#s of boost, or is there a top side limit because of the 14? If so, why do they even make 18s?
I don't want to wear you out with this stuff, but here is the deal: I have some local guys to help me & they all told me to ditch the DFI ( Gen.6 Accel on sale soon on EBAY by the way) so went back to an ECM, transplus, scanmaster, ext chip, & MAF. We did that & just a rough 1st tune.
I want to be able to run on 92oct. for normal driving & then switch to 114 oct. (& boost,slicks,adjust) for drag racing....2 modes. That is why I'm curious about the spring limitation thing. I would appreciate your input. Thanks again.

I am currently running the 18# spring in my ATR wastegate, and it is making 18lbs in 3rd gear minimum with the garrett .63 housing on my pt-72... when I was running an .85 precision housing, the 18# spring would make approx 15lbs of boost minimum. Kinda wierd...( I will need to fix that if I want to run on the gas here..)

The Higher the base spring rate, the higher the maximum boost... Just to give you an example: with a 10# base spring, your car might only be able to make 20lbs of boost max with a boost controller, aquarium or bleeder type valve etc... with a 14# spring, 23 or 24, and with the 18# spring 30 or more..... these are just total guesses as every car will be different..

With my experience with the ATR gate, as I have all 3 springs... is to use the highest # you can get away with, otherwise your spool-up will suffer... (I believe the springs are no more than about $20)

I would suggest ordering the 14# spring and "fine tuning it" with the top screw on the wastegate... start with it backed all the way out and keep tightening it a turn or two at a time until you get what you want..
We out here in California only have 91 octane.... and it seems like 15psi and 17-18 degrees of timing is max....

Don't give up on your gate...

thanks Rod

Thanks---The info. will really help out. The 14# would suit my needs just fine (assuming I have an 18) & to have the higher one for future would be good. I assume I will be be able to tell once I get it out/apart.

more for Rod

I found out from ATR that I have an 18# spring...yellow stripes. I ordered a 14#er & a diaphragm($37??!!!) which was torn/had a hole in it. Thans again, my man.