ATR Headers ??

Tow Man

Just noticed my drivers side header is cracked. I guess that explains the delayed spool-up!:rolleyes:

The ATR headers have 1.5'" primary's. Is this the same as stock or do the stock headers have smaller primarys?

I don't want to lose velocity and end up with even more lag! Is anyone out here using the ATR's? Any probs or suggestions?

Thanks in advance:)

Which ones, the $795 stainless Hush headers or the factory replacements? I have the Hush headers and like them a bunch. I didn't seem to lose any spool and you got to love the chainsaw noise they emmit!

I'm looking at part# RP333A1. Stainless for $795.00 It says Production 1.5" headers.

Are these direct factory replacements? I don't see the Hush headers in my 2001 catolog.

Thanks, Vic

I've got them on my 87 and I love them, there is no lag compared to my stock 86. They clean up the engine compartment and I've noticed a better topend pull. I'd recomend them if you have the money. You may get a lot of negative feedback about headers, but the ATRs are great and most people that bash them don't have them. Good luck

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
and most people that bash them don't have them. Good luck

Amen!;) IMO, they are worth the $$ just for the killer sound.;)
Matt

Thanks for the feedback so far! I just looked at the poston headers and I'm undecided.

The price isn't really a concern. I rather wait an extra week and get what works instead of saving a few bucks and being less than satisfied.

Are the ATR's very loud? I'd like to keep it somewhat quiet and comfortabe on the street. I have a 3" THPD and ATR 3" duals. I don't want to get too much louder!

Thanks, Vic

They actually sound kind of different than the stockers,more of a stainless "snap" them.I do have a gripe about them,they seem to have cracked at the "Y" junction on the passenger's side.You will also need a downpipe that works with them.A D/P for factory headers won't work without major mods.

Don't forget, TH makes a real sweet set of headers and is a pleasure to deal with. PLUS his 3.5" dp fits his headers but not the ATR. The 3.5" dp is a nice upgrade at higher flow levels.

TurboTR

I have The atr 3"dual exh. and the $795 headers w/t atrs 3" dp. I love the total sound of my exh and I havent had a bit of trouble from any part of the exh I would say it sounds more like it has a stock V8 tone to it. if you go with a set of headers go with either ATR or Terry Houstons and be done w/t it forever!

I have no problems with the design of ATR headers, but the lady welding them can use a tips on the proper use of purge gas and heat input.

At a club meeting in Greenville, SC about 5 years ago, Ron Kincaid (now of Metco) brought the first production stock replacement ATR header for us to look over. There were visible cracks in the tube junction inside. True, they were small (about .050 long), but little cracks in the heat affected zone of welds don't usually stay small. Brand new header, never put on a car.

If you buy any header for a TR, inspect it inside with a bright light and good eyes before you put it on a car, especially at the tube junctions.

Yeah I have to agree, check any header you buy for cracks at the weld. My first set of ATRs cracked, but ATR responded immediatly by sending a new set even before I sent the old set back, so I wouldn't have but a day of downtime. Now its been about 2 years and they are great and leak free. And they don't really make it louder, just deeper. Good luck.

Originally posted by TurboTR
Don't forget, TH makes a real sweet set of headers and is a pleasure to deal with. PLUS his 3.5" dp fits his headers but not the ATR. The 3.5" dp is a nice upgrade at higher flow levels.

TurboTR

Oh boy, this isn't going in the direction that I had hoped. I have the 3" THDP now. As a matter of fact, it's brand new so I don't want to change it. I didn't even know he made a 3.5" DP! I hope this 3" dp wasn't a waste of money!:mad:

I guess the ATR headers are out. How do I get in touch with TH about his headers? I don't see them listed anywhere. I hope his headers will work with the 3" DP I have now.

Can someone help me out with a phone # for Terry Houston?

Thanks again to all:)

My ATR's cracked in several placed. Biggest was at the collectors. One seam cracked on the PS. Welded them up and they are cracked again.

I need to find another solution.

I've got 163,000 miles on a set of ATR headers purchased Christmas, 1990, and they just cracked for the first time a few months ago in the collector directly below the turbo 3 bolt flange. Had to surface the head flanges to stop the leaks at about 75,000 miles, and they need it badly again. ATR said that they would weld them for free but since this is my only car I have to schedule the downtime somehow :). When I put them on I had a completely stock car except for atr chip, 160 stat, and ram air, and a stock turbo, and they noticeably increased the turbo lag over the cracked stock headers that came off. Seat of the pants said that they pulled harder once spooled, though.

There is a special version of the 3" thdp to fit the atr headers that swings much closer to the ac lines and control arm, although I've heard that he wants to discontinue it to "encourage" people to buy his headers instead of atr's. I hope that that rumor isn't true, as I think it's short-sighted. The profit margin on the dp has to be much more than on the headers (about $439 for the dp with test pipe or cat vs what, $900-1100 for the headers with many more parts welded together and lots more labor?). Got to be more profit in two dp's than one set of headers. Besides, the headers should sell on their own merits without such un-subtle arm twisting :cool:. I don't know if the standard thdp will fit with the th headers or if there is a third version of the dp.

weld your stockers, get Postons stock replacements, or spend a pile of $$ and get new ATR headers and a new down pipe and gain nothing! (except a chain saw sound)

If anyone can document a performance improvement with ATR headers on any car slower than 10.5, I'd like to hear about it!

(and I don't mean replacing the cracked stockers......)

If I could find the 4 stock pieces at a reasonable price, I'd gladly switch back. My 86TT came with the ATR's. I can't make any claim to the performance increased.

What is this buzz-saw noise you are talking about?

I don't know about this buzz saw sound, you talk about. Mine sounds a lot better than most of the other GNs that don't have them, he already said that price wasn't a concern, so why not get a higher quality than ugly stockers. It improves flow which means more power, whether anybody agrees or not. They work and sound fine. I can document that kenne bell headers made 15 or so hp in the Hot Rods or some magazines in house GN that they did a bolt on test to a while ago. It was an article about getting 400hp without removing the valve covers. They are close to the same design as the ATRS, so I don't see why there wouldn't be a gain in the ATRS as well. no flame intended

apparently some of you haven't been around an open header, high RPM, ATR setup......it has a distinctive sound (not bad, just different)

I have no problem with ATR headers, just consider them unnecessary on all but the fastest cars, plus you have the fitment problem if you already own an aftermarket DP....as for what they look like, I really don't care as long as they work...and non leaking stockers work just fine

I ain't buyin' the magazine KB test........give me a real world A/B...I have seen too many cars with the ATR headers that don't run for squat (probably not the fault of the headers....)

The chainsaw sound is that distictive note you hear when you hear the fast cars run.

I love it!

I agree with azgn, they are a waste unless you are moving some air through the motor.

>have seen too many cars with the ATR headers that don't run for squat (probably not the fault of the headers....)

Definitely not the fault of the headers...

I just spent several days making a TH bent 3.5" pipe fit my S2 shortblock/GN1R's with ATR headers setup. It was worth it at this level IMO, boost went up 2 lbs (from 23 to 25) with no other changes.

TurboTR